[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac plus failure

rene@ascom.uucp (Rene Bach) (10/23/89)

My Mac Plus has just failed. When I turn it on, a small horizontal
very bright white line followed below by increasingly longer faint lines
appears on the screen. At the same time, the mac repeats a loud PLOP
PLOP PLOP endlessly (or until I shut it down). As I read it on the net
is it possible that the failure might not directly relate to the
power supply board ?  I've read in the trouble shooting notes that
the recommended fix is to replace the power supply board, the logic
board and the internal floppy drive. I have replaced the floppy drive
a week before.
I'd like to minimize my repair cost. Any help appreciated.
Mac Plus with Back Pack, 110 V.

rene@ascom.uucp
Rene
Switzerland

rock%warp@Sun.COM (Bill Petro) (10/24/89)

rene@ascom.uucp (Rene Bach) writes:

>My Mac Plus has just failed. When I turn it on, a small horizontal
>very bright white line followed below by increasingly longer faint lines
>appears on the screen. At the same time, the mac repeats a loud PLOP
>PLOP PLOP endlessly (or until I shut it down). As I read it on the net
>is it possible that the failure might not directly relate to the
>power supply board ?  I've read in the trouble shooting notes that
>the recommended fix is to replace the power supply board, the logic
>board and the internal floppy drive. I have replaced the floppy drive
>a week before.
>I'd like to minimize my repair cost. Any help appreciated.
>Mac Plus with Back Pack, 110 V.

>rene@ascom.uucp
>Rene
>Switzerland

This is not uncommon.  While you could replace all the boards you've
mentioned, if you could find a firm that does component-level repair,
you'd be better off.  It sounds like it might be the C1 or any number of
solder joints that could have gone.  Such was the case with me (after I
had previously burned out the flyback transformer on the analog board
and had to replace it at ~ $150!).  Try these first.

     Bill Petro  {decwrl,hplabs,ucbvax}!sun!Eng!rock
"UNIX for the sake of the kingdom of heaven"  Matthew 19:12