[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hard Drive Cases

lad@lad.scs.com (Lawrence A. Deleski) (10/23/89)

I'm in the market for one of those do-it-yourself hard disk kits.  I was
told that some companies are selling cases equipped with power supply,
cables, etc.  Can anyone give me the address/phone numbers for one of those
companies?

--
         Lawrence A. Deleski             |       Silicon Compiler Systems
         lad@sdl.scs.com                 |       15 Independence Blvd.

xm13@sdcc12.ucsd.edu (warren young) (10/25/89)

In article <83@lad.scs.com> lad@lad.scs.com (Lawrence A. Deleski) writes:
>I'm in the market for one of those do-it-yourself hard disk kits.  I was
>told that some companies are selling cases equipped with power supply,
>cables, etc.  Can anyone give me the address/phone numbers for one of those
>companies?

LaCie makes an external drive kit for under $200 that you can pick
up directly from them or from MacConnections.  This kit ONLY works
with 3.5 inch drives.  For 5.25 inch drives (half-high) try calling
Marshall Industries (1-800-522-0084 in El Monte, CA.  They have some
really nice kits from UniMac for under $200.  These kits have a
beefier power supply for the higher capacity drives like the Wrens.
However, they require some experimentation to get drive addressing
correct with the pinwheel switch, unless you have docs on your
drive.  Also, because of the connector they use with this switch,
connection to Quantum drives (or any drive with the address pins
on the face of the main controller) is difficult to attach.
Otherwise it works fine.  They also have some full-height kits
available.  The only thing to watch is to make sure that your drive
spins up when DC power is supplied with and without the scsi port
attach to the computer.  Some power supplies are borderline and
can't quite provide enough juice to spin up when 1. attached to the
Mac, and 2. when the Mac is not powered on.  This leads to a
crispy burnt drive power supply.

Warren Young
Scripps Research Institute