[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Video in Multimedia - Info request

garym@telesoft.com (Gary Morris @nova) (10/25/89)

[ please post followups to comp.sys.mac.hardware ]

In article <614@mindlink.UUCP> you write:
>I am looking for a video board which will import live video from a laser disk
>or other video source into a window on the Mac II.  The purpose is to
>incorporate video clips into interactive multimedia presentations.

I asked a similar question recently and got some references from USENET people.
While I was just looking to capture a single video frame into a PICT file, some
of the systems referenced are able to do both.  I haven't yet purchased a system
so I can't give firsthand experience but these references may help you also.

Here's a summary of the responses I received.
--GaryM

From: captkidd@athena.mit.edu (Ivanski)
> I work on a multimedia development project, and one of the pieces of
> equipment we use is a NTSC capture/RGB video board made by TrueVision, Inc.
> While this board has other features that we use (live video overlay and what
> not), it can certainly do true video capture in any screen depth up to
> 24-bit.  This should give you enough manipulation leeway with the programs
> you mention.  The software also permits saving in PICT format, TIFF (for
> DigDkrm and others) or TrueVision's proprietary TGA (Targa) format,
> compatible with the one for its PC boards.  The NuVista is one of the
> costlier capture boards, but it performs flawlessly.  Since cost is always a
> concern, however, keep in mind there are similar boards out there which
> perform video capture as well, I just haven't had any hands-on experience
> with them.  Some of ther other ones are:
>
> 	Mass Micro's ColorSpace II board
> 	Orange Micro's MacVision (I think)
> (and a number of others which I can't remember now).
>
> For more info, check recent (Summer) issues of MacUser and MacWorld,
> which focused on "Desktop Video."
>
> -Ivanski
> Internet: captkidd@athena.mit.edu

[I have May-Oct MacUser (except July) and didn't see anything, so it must be
in July.  If someone can confirm that (email please), I'll order a back
issue. --GaryM]

From: Jeffrey Joseph Barbose <jb28+@andrew.cmu.edu>

From: Michael J Kobb <mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu>

From: Adrian  Hill <woz@torch.co.uk>

--
Gary Morris      {uunet,ucsd}!telesoft!garym       TeleSoft
N6FRT            garym@telesoft.com                San Diego, CA, USA