[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac 800K external disk drive for sale

chris@sunset.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) (10/24/89)

Well, this thing has been collecting dust for too long now.  I
practically never use the thing since I purchased a hard drive.  It's
always worked perfectly - never been in the shop.  I've never had an
instance where it could/could not read a disk when another drive
could read it (thus, good alignment/speed characteristics).

It's a real Apple 800K external disk drive.

Price:  $165
___________

Chris Schanzle		(301) 975-3796 (wrk)  	"There are bigger things in
Computer Scientist	(301) 644-6242 (hm)	 the scheme of life than
Ntnl Inst. of Stds & Tech			 to worry about a woman
chris@sunset.ncsl.nist.gov (129.6.48.38)	 who drives you nuts."
"There are bigger things in the		Chris Schanzle, Comp. Scntst
 scheme of life than to worry 		Ntnl Inst. of Stds & Tech
 about a woman who drives you nuts."	chris@sunset.ncsl.nist.gov 129.6.48.38

ear@wpi.wpi.edu (Eric A Rasmussen) (10/25/89)

Ok folks, I don't know very much about Macs, especially their hardware, so I
was wondering if you could answer some questions about them for me.

A)  Can an 800k external drive be hooked up to a Mac 512 which currently has
    two 400k drives (one internal and one external) without any
    hardware/software upgrades?

B)  How outdated and useless are Mac 512's? (especially with 400k drives)

C)  What is a reasonable price for a used 800k external drive?

D)  How common is it for Mac floppy drives to have trouble ejecting disks?
    What are recommended fixes for this sort of problem?  (Note that I'm not
    technically inept and don't mind fixing the drive myself.)

In case you are all wondering, I am interested in using an old klunker Mac 512
that I acquired (for free) to transfer data to other types of PC's.

 _                _                                         +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
|_  ,_  .   _    |_}   _    _  ,_ _         _   _   _   ,_  | ear@wpi.wpi.edu |
|_  |   |  |_    | \  |_\  _>  | | |  |_|  _>  _>  |_'  | | | ear%wpi@wpi.edu |
--< A real engineer never reads the instructions first! >-- +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

dcc@ccvr1.uucp (Daniel Carr) (10/25/89)

In article <1795@durer.cme.nbs.gov> chris@sunset.ncsl.nist.gov (Chris Schanzle) writes:

>It's a real Apple 800K external disk drive.
>
>Price:  $165

i just got a "preferred customer" flyer (for what that's worth) from
MacWarehouse advertising a new mac 800k external disk drive for $149.00

you might want to call them and find out the scoop.  there's a 800
number in their ad which can be found in macuser or macworld.

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu      daniel@ncsuvm.BITNET    d.c.carr, GEnie