[comp.sys.mac.hardware] IIcx problems

worth@thalamus.bu.edu (Andrew J. Worth) (10/21/89)

After having my Hard Disk PROM replaced, my Mac IIcx still behaves oddly.
I'd tend to blame it on my Radius Full Page Display(?).
The problem is that it intermittently bombs in Word 4.0, Mathematica,
CricketGraph, ... just about anything.  I've nothing in my sys folder
but standard Apple issue.  With and without the Radius control panel doc, it
barfs left and right.  Anybody else having problems with a Mac IIcx and
a Radius FPD?  Also, now that the drive is "fixed" it sometimes accesses
the disk constantly and rapidly for no apparent reason until some other
disk access (invoked by me) happens to stop it.
Andy "the frustrated".

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Mike Morton) (10/21/89)

Andrew J. Worth writes:
>After having my Hard Disk PROM replaced, my Mac IIcx still behaves oddly.
>...Also, now that the drive is "fixed" it sometimes accesses
>the disk constantly and rapidly for no apparent reason until some other
>disk access (invoked by me) happens to stop it.

My SE/30's internal 80Mb (my third drive.. sigh..) has been doing this,
although my last repair was BEFORE Apple announced the PROM fix.  Anyone
know if some repair jobs got the new PROM?

Apparently something is continuously accessing the drive at various
times, including after I "Shut Down" from the Finder.  I assumed that
the problem, coupled with a single failure to boot, meant that I was
having yet another drive failure.

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11378, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Joe) (10/24/89)

In (Andrew J. Worth) writes:
>After having my Hard Disk PROM replaced, my Mac IIcx still behaves oddly.
>I'd tend to blame it on my Radius Full Page Display(?).
>The problem is that it intermittently bombs in Word 4.0, Mathematica,
>CricketGraph, ... just about anything.  I've nothing in my sys folder
>but standard Apple issue.  With and without the Radius control panel doc, it
>barfs left and right.  Anybody else having problems with a Mac IIcx and
>a Radius FPD?  Also, now that the drive is "fixed" it sometimes accesses
>the disk constantly and rapidly for no apparent reason until some other
>disk access (invoked by me) happens to stop it.
>Andy "the frustrated".

Andy,

	Since you didn't mention it, I really suggest you check for instances
	of virus "infection." I haven't heard of too many virus troubles lately,
	but you never know...

	Check around for the various "innoculations" and "vaccines" that
	are now on the market. I'm not sure what the best of them are,
	but your technician should know. The "Killvirus" init works fine for
	me.

	An easy way to check is to run ResEdit and check the system
	resource fork for "nvir" or other suspicious-looking resources.

	If you don't now how to check, there are also programs to do
	that for you. You shouldn't have to pay anything, because the
	best of them are freeware.

Joe.

p.s. I really hope this ISNT your problem.

*
*	"Think, imagine, feel" are words like good and evil;
*	they mean what you choose them to mean - and nothing more.
*	If you define them, they fall apart.
*
INTERNET: 	joe@amos.ling.ucsd.edu
RELAY: 		joe%amos.ling.ucsd.edu@relay.cs.net
BITNET: 	joe%amos@ucsd.bitnet
UUCP: 		ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdamos!joe

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (10/24/89)

In article <WORTH.89Oct21033411@thalamus.bu.edu> worth@thalamus.bu.edu (Andrew J. Worth) writes:
>After having my Hard Disk PROM replaced, my Mac IIcx still behaves oddly.
 [stuff deleted]
> Also, now that the drive is "fixed" it sometimes accesses
>the disk constantly and rapidly for no apparent reason until some other
>disk access (invoked by me) happens to stop it.
>Andy "the frustrated".

I have the same problem: access noise (or something like it) which is
sometimes triggered by a normal access but which continues indefinately, or
until some later (not necessarily the first) user initiated disk access.
(I don't have the access LIGHT going when this happens - do you?)
This is also on a IIcx and I have just had my PROM replaced (the problem
showed up immediately after the "repair").  I don't have the 3rd party
display board that you mentioned (I have all Apple hardware except for
my modem), so at least THIS problem is independent of any problem regarding
your board.  This is indeed quite frustrating.  I had my machine in the
shop 4 times before the official Apple recognition of this problem.  The
fifth time was for the official "fix".  That's alot of repairs for a 3 week
old machine, and it still doesn't work properly!

  -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (10/26/89)

In article <20352@mimsy.umd.edu> spector@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Lee Spector) writes:

>I have the same problem: access noise (or something like it) which is
>sometimes triggered by a normal access but which continues indefinately, or
>until some later (not necessarily the first) user initiated disk access.
>(I don't have the access LIGHT going when this happens - do you?)
>This is also on a IIcx and I have just had my PROM replaced (the problem
>showed up immediately after the "repair").  I don't have the 3rd party

 I also have this problem with my IIcx (Quantum 80 internal). The access
light doesn't stay lit once the original read request has been satisfied,
but the drive continues to grind away until I deliberately initiate another
disk access. It's VERY annoying, and I'd hate to think of it occurring
when I've stepped out of the room for a while. I've noticed extreme
performance degradation when doing long compiles, or anything that requires
an extended period of "normal" disk access... something will trigger the
"hyper-accessing", forcing normal accesses to wait for a few spins until
the "hyper-access" mode is cancelled... then the fresh "normal" accesses
will trigger "hyper" mode again, and so on.

 Some days the problem has been so bad that I've just shut the IIcx down
completely and used another machine. Other days, the problem doesn't show
up at all. I haven't really noticed whether the "bad" days were especially
humid or not. And it shouldn't matter!

 Is this a "known problem" yet???
--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    UUCP: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!thecloud