[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Internal 70-100mb HD recommendations wanted

mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) (10/26/89)

I'm looking for an 70-100mb hard disk to put in a IIci or IIcx (I haven't
decided which to buy yet).  Quantum's had a good reputation but after their
recent problems, I don't know if I want to consider them.  I have heard some
good comments about the MicroNet MacWren (a half-height 5 1/4 with a unique
bracket for internal mounting in the IIci/IIcx) and I've also heard good
things about Rodimes.

I'd appreciate your comments on these or other drives.

Thanks in advance.
  Marsh Gosnell  mkg@lzsc.att.com

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (10/27/89)

I moved this out of comp.sys.mac, as I don't want to see
ANY hardware questions in comp.sys.mac.

In article <1185@lzsc.ATT.COM> mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) writes:
>I'm looking for an 70-100mb hard disk to put in a IIci or IIcx (I haven't
>decided which to buy yet).

>good comments about the MicroNet MacWren (a half-height 5 1/4 with a unique

The Wren series is manufactured by Imprimis, a subsidary of CDC corporation.
CDC have always made good drives.

>good things about Rodimes.

Rodimes are OK. Not great, but OK.

>I'd appreciate your comments on these or other drives.

Have you checked Maxtor ? They make excellent drives, at least they
have served well (still do) in UNIX environment.

Of course, these drives you have to buy "in pieces" and assemble
yourself (if you want P/S or case) but for internal mounting,
the most you'll need is a bracket or two.

Happy Hacking !
					h+@nada.kth.se
					== h+@proxxi.se
--
Chaste makes waste.

malczews@girtab.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (10/28/89)

FYI, Imprimis is no longer a subsidiary of CDC; they now are owned by Seagate...
I recall recently reading that the deal had been finalized and on the day
of (or the day after) the change-over, quite a number of Imprimis employees
became ex-Imprimis employees.  Hopefully, Seagate will not tamper with the
quality of the drives (I am hoping to be able to afford one soon).
--

  -- Frank Malczewski		(malczews@girtab.usc.edu)

wasilko@netcom.UUCP (Jeff Wasilko) (10/28/89)

In article <2195@draken.nada.kth.se> d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

>I moved this out of comp.sys.mac, as I don't want to see
>ANY hardware questions in comp.sys.mac.
>
>In article <1185@lzsc.ATT.COM> mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) writes:
>>I'm looking for an 70-100mb hard disk to put in a IIci or IIcx (I haven't
>>decided which to buy yet).
>
>>good comments about the MicroNet MacWren (a half-height 5 1/4 with a unique
>
>The Wren series is manufactured by Imprimis, a subsidary of CDC corporation.
>CDC have always made good drives.
>
>>good things about Rodimes.
>
>Rodimes are OK. Not great, but OK.
>
>>I'd appreciate your comments on these or other drives.
>
>Have you checked Maxtor ? They make excellent drives, at least they
>have served well (still do) in UNIX environment.
>
>Of course, these drives you have to buy "in pieces" and assemble
>yourself (if you want P/S or case) but for internal mounting,
>the most you'll need is a bracket or two.
>
>Happy Hacking !
>					h+@nada.kth.se
>					== h+@proxxi.se
>--
>Chaste makes waste.

We have had a very high number of Maxstor 380MB drives fail in the last few
months on our Sun 3/60 showboxes and typesetters. Wew are presently getting
ready to swicth to Imprimis drives. We are using Imprimis 1 Gigabyte
drives and have been very happy with them.

The way the Maxstors fail is that they will not spin up. I was able to save
one drive's worth of data by turning the drive from horizontal to vertical
. It managed to stay up long enoough so that I could do a dump to another
machine.

Someone told me that the Imprimis division of CDC had been sold to Segate.
Any truth to the rumor?