[comp.sys.mac.hardware] "American" Macs in Europe

jpulliam@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam) (11/01/89)

I am purchasing a MacPlus in the States and will be going overseas
(specifically, to France) in a year or so.  I am concerned about
being able to use my Mac while I am there.  I have been told I must
purchase a *special* transformer, that the standard type will not
work.  I have also been told they run around $100.

My questions are:
1.  Do I have to have a special transformer?
2.  How much do they cost?
3.  Where can I purchase one?

Thanks in advance,

Jacque Pulliam

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (11/02/89)

>  I am purchasing a MacPlus in the States and will be going overseas
>  My questions are:
>  1.  Do I have to have a special transformer?
>  2.  How much do they cost?
>  3.  Where can I purchase one?

I'm not too sure about prices and availability, but I know you will need
a new transformer.  Any electrical device that you used in the US will
not work in Europe, because they use 50Hz power compared to our 60Hz.

vossron@Apple.COM (Ronald N. Voss) (11/02/89)

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:

>>  I am purchasing a MacPlus in the States and will be going overseas
>>  My questions are:
>>  1.  Do I have to have a special transformer?
>>  2.  How much do they cost?
>>  3.  Where can I purchase one?

>I'm not too sure about prices and availability, but I know you will need
>a new transformer.  Any electrical device that you used in the US will
>not work in Europe, because they use 50Hz power compared to our 60Hz.

Many modern electronic devices (including a Plus) don't care if you
use 50 or 60 Hz power.  Such power supplies are commonly designed to
work from 47 to 63 Hz.

An increasing number of devices (NOT the Plus) use a universal power supply
which not only doesn't care about the Hz, but work without modification
(except for the plug!) at 110 and 220 volts.

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (11/02/89)

In article <28821@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> jpulliam@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam) writes:
>I am purchasing a MacPlus in the States and will be going overseas
>(specifically, to France) in a year or so.  I am concerned about
>being able to use my Mac while I am there.  I have been told I must
>purchase a *special* transformer, that the standard type will not
>work.  I have also been told they run around $100.
>
>My questions are:
>1.  Do I have to have a special transformer?
>2.  How much do they cost?
>3.  Where can I purchase one?

First of all, a disclaimer: Do not mess with this unless you are absolutely
sure you know what you're doing, and if you damage your Mac or yourself or
anything else, it will not be my fault or the fault of my company.  I
accept no responsibility for errors in this posting.  Yakity yakity yak.

The cheap "transformers" that you can get in just about any drug store are
generally one of two kinds.  Either they contain genuine transformers or
they contain diodes.  (Some contain both and a switch.)  The ones that contain
diodes do not step down the voltage; they just cut off one half cycle of the
AC.  This works pretty well for simple heating appliances, such as contact
lens boilers and the like, although it can shorten the lives of filaments.
It will, however, fry your Mac.  The ones that contain genuine transformers
are somewhat better, but the key here is power.  They are usually rated much
too low to run a Mac.  If you try to use one of these, it might work for
a while, but later on the insulation would burn out and you would see an
exciting but counterproductive fireworks display.

Real transformers that have enough power to run the Mac are a bit pricey,
although you should be able to do considerably better than $100.  As you
have a year before going to Europe, you might consider looking at the
ads in the back of hobbyist electronics magazines for a while.  I personally
would get a surplus or new transformer and do the wiring myself, but for
obvious legal reasons I do not recommend that anybody else do that.
However, there are a lot of cut-rate electronics and electrical supply
houses that sell even the finished products at a lot cheaper than retail.

Steve Neas' statement that the problem is 50Hz versus 60Hz is somewhat
inaccurate.  For most devices that use transformer or switching power
supplies, including the Mac Plus, 50Hz is just fine.  Some overheating
problems have been reported with running ImageWriter I's at 50Hz for a
long time.  Some kinds of motors go completely out to lunch.  The line
frequency doesn't have anything to do with the frequency of television
sets or monitors any more; it's a historical remnant from the bad old days
when people couldn't build cheap amplifiers that didn't hum.

As another solution, you might consider buying an SE instead.  Their power
supplies are smart enough to figure out what the line voltage is, so you
don't need any external transformer, just a different power cord.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

scotth@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott R. Herzinger) (11/03/89)

In article <8ZHoVe_00Uo584RUde@andrew.cmu.edu> sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) writes:
>>  I am purchasing a MacPlus in the States and will be going overseas
>>  1.  Do I have to have a special transformer?

>I'm not too sure about prices and availability, but I know you will need
>a new transformer.  Any electrical device that you used in the US will
>not work in Europe, because they use 50Hz power compared to our 60Hz.

This is not correct.  Some electrical devices will not work at 50Hz.
Besides resistance heaters, a Mac Plus will operate at 50Hhz or 60Hhz.
This is clearly indicated on the back of the Mac Plus.  The problem then,
is voltage, and this can easily be transformed.  The transformer is senstive
to line frequency, so you do need a 50Hz transformer.  But there will not
be a problem operating a Mac Plus on 120VAC/50Hz, stepped down from
240VAC/50Hz.

It is not difficult to find a 50Hhz 240/120 VAC transformer in France.
A 750 watt model costs about 360FFR, about $60 when I lived in Paris.
Smaller ones are available.  I used my 750 watt model to run my US-market
(also US-purchased) computer, stereo, and cuisinart.

Pas de probleme!

Scott
--
Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net