[comp.sys.mac.hardware] The Headless SE as it has been known...

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (10/31/89)

I find the hype about the "Headless" SE to be of pointless nature. Why woudl
Apple spend big engineering dollars to go and design an SE without a monitor.
I think designing one is nearly redundant and it would be basically an
extremely underpowered IIcx. And that is exactly what the IIcx came out for,
it is small like the compacts, but has the expandability and power of the II.
So you get the IIx+SE=IIcx or IIci. As for a 50 or 33 MHz IIx with DMA and a
QuickDraw Processor, I am all for it.

Grant Erickson

._________________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {rosevax, crash, orator}!orbit!pnet51!granteri    |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil              |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.cts.com                           |
| The right half of the brain controls the left half      |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people    |
| are in their right mind.                                |
!_________________________________________________________!

pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) (11/03/89)

In article <1399@orbit.UUCP> granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes:
>I find the hype about the "Headless" SE to be of pointless nature. Why woudl
>Apple spend big engineering dollars to go and design an SE without a monitor.
>I think designing one is nearly redundant and it would be basically an
>extremely underpowered IIcx. And that is exactly what the IIcx came out for,
>it is small like the compacts, but has the expandability and power of the II.
>So you get the IIx+SE=IIcx or IIci. As for a 50 or 33 MHz IIx with DMA and a
>QuickDraw Processor, I am all for it.

No, the point of a headless Mac is to capture the K-12 (Kindergarten through
grade 12) education market.

This market is dominated by the Apple II right now.

The headless Mac has an onboard "multi-video" that allows attaching
anything from the Apple monitor, to the cheaper IBM type monitors,
to an RF modulator so as to allow a TV set to be used.

By using only SE expansion slots, instead of the more expensive
NuBus, the hope would be to keep the price at $999, with everything
EXCEPT the monitor.

Then K-12 can be moving to the Mac instead of living on the Apple II.
This in turn motivates parents, who like to buy the same computer for
their kids as is in the school, to buy the more $$$ Mac rather than the
Apple II.

Phil Ronzone   Manager Secure UNIX           pkr@sgi.COM   {decwrl,sun}!sgi!pkr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.               "I never vote, it only encourages 'em ..."