[comp.sys.mac.hardware] drive not spinning

daver@dg.dg.com (David Rudolph) (11/02/89)

My 30M Mass Micro Systems drive is starting to have a problem I've seen
mentioned here before.  It often doesn't start spinning the first time I
turn it on; flicking the switch several times always gets it started.

The question is: Is this going to get worse and worse, to the point
where eventually it will never start?  MMS wants $50 just for an
estimate, and possibly $250 to replace the drive mechanism after that.
Are there any cheaper home remedies?

David Rudolph
uunet!dg!daver

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (11/02/89)

In article <227@dg.dg.com> daver@dg.UUCP (David Rudolph) writes:
>My 30M Mass Micro Systems drive is starting to have a problem I've seen
>mentioned here before.  It often doesn't start spinning the first time I
>turn it on; flicking the switch several times always gets it started.

Sounds like a power supply problem; Mass Micro has been known to sell
drives with flaky or inadequate power supplies.

>The question is: Is this going to get worse and worse, to the point
>where eventually it will never start?  MMS wants $50 just for an
>estimate, and possibly $250 to replace the drive mechanism after that.
>Are there any cheaper home remedies?

I don't know about Massachusetts, but in California it's *illegal* to
ask for money for a repair estimate. And they can't ask for more than
10% up front, or that would be against California law as well.

You didn't say how old your drive was... how long have you had it?
If it's more than two years old, you're probably getting a better
deal if they replace the drive mechanism than getting a new drive
for about $1-200 more.

>David Rudolph
>uunet!dg!daver

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)

wasilko@netcom.UUCP (Jeff Wasilko) (11/03/89)

In article <227@dg.dg.com> daver@dg.UUCP (David Rudolph) writes:
>My 30M Mass Micro Systems drive is starting to have a problem I've seen
>mentioned here before.  It often doesn't start spinning the first time I
>turn it on; flicking the switch several times always gets it started.
>
>The question is: Is this going to get worse and worse, to the point
>where eventually it will never start?  MMS wants $50 just for an
>estimate, and possibly $250 to replace the drive mechanism after that.
>Are there any cheaper home remedies?
>
>David Rudolph
>uunet!dg!daver

I bought a 30M drive from them last april and I have since gone
through 6 or 7 drives. I had my most serious problems with their
early non-embedded SCSI drives. Problems centered around defective
media on two drives. The problems were so bad that as soon as I
would reformat the drive (and block out the bad sectors) anotehr 200 or 300
bac sectors would appear.

My recent problems with the Seagate embedded SCSI controller
drives have been mostly assembly related such as incorrect SCSI address
cable wiring and defective access lights. I had one Seagate that
would spin up ok, but shut down during a work session. It would
eventually spin up again, but I couldn't trust it very much.

I finally have gotten a drive that works (and has still been working
since June). I will never buy another product from them again even
though I like their case design that allows a second 3.5 inch drive
to be added.

Jeff Wasilko