[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE-30 SCSI problems

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (11/02/89)

[]

I friend of mine owns an SE30, and has a DaynaFile floppy drive, and an
Apple scanner, as well as internal and external HDs.

His sysem won't even boot if the scanner is attached, and is flaky if the
DaynaFile is attached. HD's by themselves work fine. The DaynaFile by itself
(with the internal HD) crashes halfway through the boot process.

This all used to work, even on an accelerated Mac+. Word he got back via his
dealer suggested a bug somewhere in the SE30, and that maybe fiddling with
cables & terminations would fix it. It doesn't. Has anyone heard what the
problem is?

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) (11/02/89)

In article <36127@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:

>I friend of mine owns an SE30, and has a DaynaFile floppy drive, and an
>Apple scanner, as well as internal and external HDs.
>His sysem won't even boot if the scanner is attached, and is flaky if the
>DaynaFile is attached. HD's by themselves work fine. The DaynaFile by itself
>(with the internal HD) crashes halfway through the boot process.

Well, I've seen this before - especially with a Mac IIcx ... We were running
with 1 Mb RAM and a 40Mb Int. HD, with 2 monitors (2pg. and RGB) and a
Scanner.  One day, for no obvious reason, the whole system just freaked out
and wouldn't let us boot while the scanner was attached.  We tried everything
from adding and removing terminators to re-installing the system, and nothing
worked - except for disconnecting the scanner (not the most efficient
solution).

Could it be that the power supply in the SE/30 and/or IIcx is just not meant
to handle all of the external devices that people pile on it (scanners,
ext HD's, extra monitors, DaynaFiles, etc.) without giving some problems ?

I'm just as baffled ... any assistance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

--
Samuel C. Blackman        ! InterNet : scb1@tank.uchicago.edu   Link : UG0184
University of Chicago     ! Disclaimer : Who cares what I say? I'm a student !

nilesinc@well.UUCP (Avi Rappoport) (11/07/89)

In article <6084@tank.uchicago.edu> scb1@tank.uchicago.edu (Sam Blackman) writes:
>Could it be that the power supply in the SE/30 and/or IIcx is just not meant
>to handle all of the external devices that people pile on it (scanners,
>ext HD's, extra monitors, DaynaFiles, etc.) without giving some problems ?

Oh, yeah, back when the IIcx came out, some people at BMUG discovered that
if you filled up the slots and then put 2 floppy drives (no external power)
on the machine, it just refused to come up.  Not enough power.  At the time
Apple said something about board manufacturers not following specs, so that
boards were pulling a lot, but it's all kindof hazy to me.

The II however, has more power than a tractor :-)

-- Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please! --
Avi Rappoport                                 2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709
nilesinc@well.UUCP, Niles.Assoc on AppleLink                     415-655-6666