[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Question on MacIIci w/parity and 80HD

ctan@aludra.usc.edu (Chee-Weei Tan) (11/13/89)

Could anyone explain the advantages or disadvantages of having the parity
option for the MacIIci ?  Are there potential problems by not having
parity checking?

From reading the news articles in this newsgroup, I've become rather
worried with the 80 meg internal hard disk that is supplied with the
MacIIci 4/80 configuration.  Is this problem with the hard disk still
prevalent with new purchases of IIci's?  Any solutions if so?  Is TOPS 2.1
a culprit with regards to the HD problems?

Also, does anyone have a list of software that works fine on SE's but
not on the IIci?  Software compatibility is another of my main concern.

I am considering a purchase of a IIci to act as a server in a TOPS network
consisting of SE's and an NT.  I'd appreciate any information to the above
queries.  Reply directly to ctan@aludra.usc.edu

Thanks,
Chee Weei.

pkr@maddog.sgi.com (Phil Ronzone) (11/14/89)

In article <6443@merlin.usc.edu> ctan@aludra.usc.edu () writes:
>Could anyone explain the advantages or disadvantages of having the parity
>option for the MacIIci ?  Are there potential problems by not having
>parity checking?

The addition of parity was/is a near-pure marketing decision by Apple.
Business purchasers tend to prefer machines with parity as it implies
that the machine is somehow more "reliable".

In real life, it merely gives you a choice between Excel bombing and
a nice system dialog box telling you you've just bombed. :-)

ECC is another matter.

Phil Ronzone   Manager Secure UNIX           pkr@sgi.COM   {decwrl,sun}!sgi!pkr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.               "I never vote, it only encourages 'em ..."