[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Help? Quantum drives

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (11/07/89)

I have a number of Mac's with quantum drives.
(Too many to lug down to a dealer and have them
check this for me)
As an example, the various numbers appearing
near the SCSI cable are:
  Q250                  88015-0533M
   76-45004                *80*
From the labelling style, it's clear that
the 88015-0533M is an apple number. The
Q250 is obviously the model #. Where does
the variation code appear? is it the 80?
is it the 76? the 45? the 4?
(I have heard the way to tell if a drive is in the bad
batch is by the variation code) Also, are the bad drives
in any machines but SE/30's and IIcx's ??
Thanks, Mike

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (11/14/89)

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) writes:

>I have a number of Mac's with quantum drives.
>(Too many to lug down to a dealer and have them
>check this for me)
>As an example, the various numbers appearing
>near the SCSI cable are:
>  Q250                  88015-0533M
>   76-45004                *80*

The problem is with the 3.5" Quantum drives. The older 5.25" 40 MB unit
cited above does not have any problems with sticktion or thickened
lubricant like the newer 3.5" units.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell