[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Fastest Disk for IIci

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (11/10/89)

What is the fastest (best mean access time and transfer rate) large
(~300 MByte) fixed disk, suitable for the IIci?

When I was last in the market, I was impressed with the FWB (?) "Hammmer"
line of disks, which offered some sort of cashing scheme.
--
Joel M Miller                      Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
Smith-Kettlewell Institute         Usenet:   uunet!skivs!jmm

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) (11/14/89)

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:

>What is the fastest (best mean access time and transfer rate) large
>(~300 MByte) fixed disk, suitable for the IIci?

>When I was last in the market, I was impressed with the FWB (?) "Hammmer"
>line of disks, which offered some sort of cashing scheme.

At MacWorld Boston, there was one company that was using a pair of
CDC Wren Runners (10ms) in tandem, which gave them a 5 ms access time.
Is that fast enough?  Personally, I am satisfied with the 16ms access
time that I have (a Wren 4 or 5).

Have  I have missed something? is there something special about the
IIci that makes normal external SCSI disks not work?
+C
--
Cory Kempf		Technology Concepts	     phone: (508) 443-7311 x341
uucp:	{anywhere}!uunet!tci!kempf, kempf@tci.bell-atl.com

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (11/14/89)

kempf@tci.bell-atl.com (Cory Kempf) writes:

>jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:

>>What is the fastest (best mean access time and transfer rate) large
>>(~300 MByte) fixed disk, suitable for the IIci?

>>When I was last in the market, I was impressed with the FWB (?) "Hammmer"
>>line of disks, which offered some sort of cashing scheme.

The FWB boxes house CDC Wrens.

>At MacWorld Boston, there was one company that was using a pair of
>CDC Wren Runners (10ms) in tandem, which gave them a 5 ms access time.
>Is that fast enough?

MicroNet Technology offers that setup. They also have a very clean way
of packing 5.25" drives into the IIcx and ci boxes. Talk to Charles
McConnathy (president of MicroNet) about REAL drive performance some
time. His premise is that access time is just a small part of the real
world performance.  5.25" drives simple do less seeking than 3.5"
drives and at any given time, have more data "under the heads" ready to
read. This has the effect of dramatically increasing throughput during
normal useage (not just tests).

They can be reached at:
  MicroNet Technology, Inc
  20 Mason
  Irvine, CA  92718
  (714) 837-6033

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (11/15/89)

In article <1989Nov13.224738.22909@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:

>MicroNet Technology offers that setup. They also have a very clean way
>of packing 5.25" drives into the IIcx and ci boxes. Talk to Charles
>McConnathy (president of MicroNet) about REAL drive performance some
>time. His premise is that access time is just a small part of the real
>world performance.  5.25" drives simple do less seeking than 3.5"
>drives and at any given time, have more data "under the heads" ready to
>read. This has the effect of dramatically increasing throughput during
>normal useage (not just tests).
>
>  --scott
>
>--
>Scott Truesdell

Putting a 5.25" drive inside your IIcx/IIci will interfere with the Daystar
Digital cache card.  Also, a 5.25" drive does require more power than a 3.5"
drive so that may cause problems if you are using a number of NuBus cards.

For the true power user, there is the FWB hammer300is.  This is a 3.5" drive
which fits perfectly on a standard IIcx/IIci bracket.  It delivers 12.5ms
seek along with an average latency of 6.95ms.  Sustainable transfer rate is
2.0 MB/sec.  You will be hard pressed to find a 5.25" drive which can match
these specifications.  (Unless you have one of our hammer1000's :-)

Sorry to sound so PR-ish on the net but I wanted to put to bed a few myths
about 3.5" drives.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov13.224738.22909@paris.ics.uci.edu> truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) writes:
>MicroNet Technology offers that setup. They also have a very clean way
>of packing 5.25" drives into the IIcx and ci boxes. Talk to Charles
>McConnathy (president of MicroNet) about REAL drive performance some
>time. His premise is that access time is just a small part of the real
>world performance.  5.25" drives simple do less seeking than 3.5"
>drives and at any given time, have more data "under the heads" ready to
>read. This has the effect of dramatically increasing throughput during
>normal useage (not just tests).

Yeah, talk to Charles sometime.  He has some really weird ideas of
what constitutes drive performance.  True enough that access time
isn't everything (sustained transfer rates being at least as important),
but Charles couldn't quite grasp why Quantum's 64K cache could possible
speed up access times.  (This was from a CI$ discussion.)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.