[comp.sys.mac.hardware] The word from Quantum concerning 3.5" 40/80 Drive Fixes

rfellman@ucsd.edu (Ronald D. Fellman) (11/14/89)

A friend of mine works at Quantum and is involved with the 3.5"
drives (code-named TAKO). He wanted to set the record straight
concerning the recent problems with this product.

1) The problem is NOT with a bad batch of lubricant, it is that the
drives were exposed to too much humidity which caused the thickening of
the lubricant.  The drives are manufactured in Japan by MKE but are
completely designed Quantum engineers and made soley for them. The
abnormally high humidity last summer is what caused the problem to
become noticable.

2) They do not consider the ROM fix to be a kludge. In fact, ALL new
3.5" drives are now being shipped with that same ROM.

3) There is no reliability degradation by using the new ROMs.

In summary, they feel that the 3.5" drive is a good, well engineered
product.  I suppose that they would say that the need for a new ROM was
due to not taking into account extremes in viscosity when originally
setting the ROM values.

(I am merely passing this information along as a favor since he doesn't
have access to Internet. Please do not send me personal mail concerning
this.)

(Also, I have not yet asked him about the performance degradation
reported on the net.)

-ron fellman

hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu (Howard Haruo Fukuda) (11/15/89)

According to MacWeek, Quantum has designed new 1" high 3.5" LPS (low
profile series) hard drives.  The sizes were 52mb and 105mb with 17ms
access time and with the same 64Kbyte DisCache, time can drop to below
12ms.  But does anyone know if they have changed the lubricant on the
drive?  According to MacWeek, these drives will start shipping in
quantity in February and will be OEM priced lower than the current
Pro-Drive series drives.  I'm thinking of waiting for the new series of
drives instead of buying one now.

I have no idea what the engineering specs are on the drives, but if the
lubricant is thickening from humidity absorbtion, then the ROM change
seems to be like putting in a stronger water pump in your car to keep
water from freezing in the cooling system when you should be adding
anti-freeze.  Is it too much to expect going to the source of the
problem instead of making a "hack"?  Being that my mac may spend a lot
of time in Hawaii which is surrounded by water and 80 degree year-round
temperatures, "abnormally high humidity" is very common.

-Howard

Internet: hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu

BITNET:   hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu        -or-
          hf07%andrew@CMCCVB          -or-
          JNET%"hf07%andrew@CMCCVB"

CCnet:    hf07%andrew@CMCCVB

spector@brillig.umd.edu (Lee Spector) (11/16/89)

In article <7451@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> rfellman@ucsd.edu (Ronald D. Fellman) writes:
>A friend of mine works at Quantum and is involved with the 3.5"
>drives (code-named TAKO). He wanted to set the record straight
>concerning the recent problems with this product.
[stuff deleted]

>(Also, I have not yet asked him about the performance degradation
>reported on the net.)

Please DO ask (or just tell) your friend about the performance degredation
reported on the net! Several have reported numbers, and I have been told that
some publication (Mac Week?) has actually published numbers showing slow-downs
of over 100% for some operations.

I don't personally have the tools or the expertise to
make precise measurements, but I can tell just by watching my HD80 in action
that there IS SIGNIFICANT PERFORMANCE DEGREDATION caused by the PROM "fix".
(For example, when my backup program scans the disk it will sometimes go
very quickly - like it always used to - and it will sometimes go MUCH slower.
It goes slower only when the drive is making its munching noise that appeared
immediately after the "fix.")

Besides, the horrible NOISE that my "fixed" drive makes is bad enough to
justify serious griping.  I've heard rumors that the noises (and the speed
problems) are supposed to heal themselves in "about 2 weeks".  I've had the
fix for longer than that, and while the symptoms sometimes subside for a day
or so, they show no signs of diminishing in the long run.  I often find myself
opening DAs, etc., just for the sake of trying to stop my disk's clattering.
This usually shuts it up for a while, but the noise eventually comes back.
I sure hope the Apple/Quantum engineers do not consider the problem solved,
because the current situation is absolutely unacceptable for a new, state-
of-the-art, expensive machine.

  -Lee Spector (spector@cs.umd.edu)

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (11/16/89)

In article <QZMCikm00XoZ02FlNf@andrew.cmu.edu> hf07+@andrew.cmu.edu (Howard Haruo Fukuda) writes:

>I have no idea what the engineering specs are on the drives, but if the
>lubricant is thickening from humidity absorbtion, then the ROM change
>seems to be like putting in a stronger water pump in your car to keep
>water from freezing in the cooling system when you should be adding
>anti-freeze.  Is it too much to expect going to the source of the
>problem instead of making a "hack"?  Being that my mac may spend a lot
>of time in Hawaii which is surrounded by water and 80 degree year-round
>temperatures, "abnormally high humidity" is very common.

Well, just about all drive manufacturers use the same lubricant, so
the lubricant isn't really the problem. Imprimis controls the internal
humidity of the drive mechanism itself, so external humidity factors
won't affect drive performance. Quantum has some internal humidity
control, but apparently not enough. Seagate drives have recently (in
the last year or so) been exhibiting signs of having virtually no
internal humidity control; I haven't recommended a Seagate drive in
over a year's time.

>-Howard

--- Alex
UUCP: {att,backbones}!ucbvax!franny!c8s-an
INTERNET: c8s-an%franny.berkeley.edu@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
FIDONET: Alex.Lau@bmug.fidonet.org (1:161/444)