[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 105 drives

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (11/15/89)

There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
references. Does anyone know what the story is?
Thanks,
Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

"Oh shit, not /dev/null!!!"

jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeffrey M White) (11/15/89)

In article <4050@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
>MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
>12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
>references. Does anyone know what the story is?

  Quantum drives have a 'real' access time of 19ms.  However, most of
them have a 64k cache chip built into them, which I guess in the standard
seek test reduces this time to 12ms (often quoted as 'effective' access time).

						Jeff White
						University of Pennsylvania
						jeff@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (11/15/89)

In article <4050@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms?

The ACTUAL average access speed of the Quantum 40/80/105 drives is 19 ms.
However, Quantum has a 64k cache on the drive which, when enabled, lowers
the access time to an optimum 12 ms.

Anyone know if that 12 ms is constant, or does it depend on how data
is stored, the kind of demands applications (i.e., database vs. word
processor) make on it, etc?

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (11/16/89)

<Question as to what the seek time for a Quantum 105 is: 12 or 19 ms>

The Quantum 105 as well as the entire Pro-Drive series from Quantum have a
raw seek time averaging 19 ms.  However, they have a built in caching scheme
which lowers the average seek time.  The actual average seek time is being
advertised by Quantum's marketing department as 12 ms, although I talked to
an engineer at Quantum who says that the actual number is not well understood
because it is highly dependent on actual usage.  The size of the cache is
either 16K or 64K, I can't remember which.

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

ieee@smu.uucp (IEEE group account) (11/16/89)

In article <4050@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while

I think the 12ms is the best case with their cache.

-Fred

-  Fred Hollander              |  AppleLink: F.Hollander                      -
-  President                   |  CIS:       72077,3544                       -
-  Software Innovations, Inc.  |  Internet:  f.hollander@applelink.apple.com  -
-                                                                             -
-  SMU is not responsible for the content of this posting.                    -

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (11/16/89)

In article <4050@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
>MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
>12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
>references. Does anyone know what the story is?
>Thanks,
>Carlo.
>
>carlo@cvs.rochester.edu
>
>"Oh shit, not /dev/null!!!"

This confusion is caused by the fact that Quantum hard drives have a
sophisticated 64K DisCache built into the SCSI controller.  This DisCache
affects access speed because cache hits would tend to lower the number.
Quantum officially explains it as such:

On 100% random access:  Seek rate is equal to 19 ms.

On 50% random / 50% sequential access: Seek rate is reduced to 11.7 ms
                                       due to cache hits.

So some people have gotten into the habit of refering to Quantum drives as
12 ms drives.  Of course, the reason that they do it is because 12 ms is
better than 19 ms anyday.  A bit slippery but a defendable position.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/17/89)

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>There seems to be some confusion (at least in my mind and that of a few
>others I spoke to) about the Quantum 105Mb drives' speed. Is it 19ms access
>or 12ms? The MacLand ad in the Dec 89 issue of MacUser says 19ms, while
>MacWeek's M.O. section has an ad by MacTel Technology Corp. listing them at
>12ms. I have seen both figures in other places also, but have no
>references. Does anyone know what the story is?
>Thanks,
>Carlo.

All Quantum 3.5" ProDrives have an average seek time of 19 ms.  The only ont
drive that I know of that got that fast was the units by Core which use their
own proprietary controller for the IBM PC compatable market (somewhere between
ST412/506 and ESDI).  The data sheet for those units says 14 ms, but it was
not uncommon for a Core HC 310 to get an average seek of 12 to 10
milliseconds.

If you want speed and mass storage, get an Imprimis (CDC MacWren) or a Maxtor
unit.  In fact, MicroNet has put a freeze on purchasing ALL Quantum drives
until the problem is 100% fixed.  The drive mechanism problem on the P-40S and
P-80S has replicated itself on the P-105S, but to a much lesser extent, so
before the 105's got really bad, MicroNet just basically told Quantum "call us
when it's fixed, we're not selling anything made by you until you do."

I'm hoping that the 105's we have in house don't go kaput, if they do.  I'm
going to be very ticked off along with a few system engineers at Sun since
they're used as internal drives on the SPARCstation 1's and 3/80's

  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  *         Apple Computer, Inc. is really the Anti-Christ!
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).