[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus Video Problem - a cause

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (11/15/89)

[]
>In article <1989Nov14.134706.7858@uncecs.edu> hunnic@uncecs.edu (Jeff Hunnicutt) writes:
>
>I have a Mac Plus that exhibits the symptom of a single vertical
>line up the middle of the screen. My question is this, does anyone
>know what particular component may be failing?

I've been informed that the usual cause for that problem is the failure of
a 3.9uf 25v non-polarized capacitor. Its about 1.25" high, .5" diameter,
near the top of the board, component number C1.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

gordon@cs.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (11/17/89)

In article <36480@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
>I've been informed that the usual cause for that problem is the failure of
>a 3.9uf 25v non-polarized capacitor. Its about 1.25" high, .5" diameter,
>near the top of the board, component number C1.

C1 failure generally won't collapse the display all the way down to a
single line.  The problem is more likely to be a bad solder joint on
the yoke connector; it's the 4-pin connector near the top front of the
analog board, right underneath one of the foam tape pads that hold on
the insulating sheet.  A bad connection on either of the top two pins
will cause the described symptoms, though the top one almost always goes
first.  (Actually, it's a good idea to resolder all four pins; they'll
all go eventually)

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141