[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Backup to a VCR??

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) (10/31/89)

Does anyone remember a product hw/sw that allows one to back up to a
VCR tape???  Am I crazy???  Was I dreaming???

nrg

--
"One age misunderstands another; and a _petty_ age misunderstands all
the others in its own nasty way" 		   - L.  Wittgenstein

schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) (11/08/89)

In article <4734@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>Does anyone remember a product hw/sw that allows one to back up to a
>VCR tape???  Am I crazy???  Was I dreaming???

No, you weren't dreaming.  The company is Alpha Micro
3501 Sunflower
Santa Ana, CA 92704
P.O. Box 25059
Santa Ana, CA 92799
(714) 641-6381
(714) 957-8705 (FAX)
I can't remember the product name however.  Good luck.

pang@phri.UUCP (Long Pang) (11/11/89)

In article <7517@ttidca.TTI.COM>, schear@ttidca.TTI.COM (Steve Schear) writes:

> No, you weren't dreaming.  The company is Alpha Micro
> 3501 Sunflower
> Santa Ana, CA 92704
> P.O. Box 25059
> Santa Ana, CA 92799
> (714) 641-6381
> (714) 957-8705 (FAX)
> I can't remember the product name however.  Good luck.

	I made a phone call to that company, they tald me that they
don't make the MacIntosh version. The IBM version is $349.00 each.

	Any body knows any other company that makes MacIntosh version?
Any infomations are deeply appriciated.

	Thank you all.

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian Willoughby) (11/16/89)

In article <4734@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norm Gall) writes:
>Does anyone remember a product hw/sw that allows one to back up to a
>VCR tape???  Am I crazy???  Was I dreaming???

I recently read about a DAT-based computer backup device.  I don't
remember any details.  It is certainly *possible* to write digital data
to a VCR in NTSC format (that's how the first consumer digital recording
units worked).

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP

BHB3@PSUVM.BITNET (11/17/89)

There are backup tape drives that used video tape and store 2.3 gigabytes.
They exist with SCSI interfaces.  The units I know of are $3-$4000 and are
meant for minicomputers.  They probably exist for Macs.