[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Turbo Floppy or the Drive 2.4+Rapport

jgt@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (John Tsang) (11/18/89)

In article <5486@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> jgt@uhccux.UUCP (John Tsang) writes:
>third party 1.4 FDHD floppy drive, in order to use those big-file-applications,
>that already occupy most of a 800K floppy disk, leaving no more room for data
>
>1.     I only find one third party company, PLI (Peripheral Land Incorporated),
>which manufactures 1.4 MB high-density 3.5" floppy drive -- they call it Turbo

Now, I know there's also the Drive 2.4 with Rapport.

>MacWarehouse, carries it for $359.00 -- almost a 20MB hard disk.

The PLI called me back and said they're having a sale for about $325
for the Turbo Floppy.
	The other drive that can also read 800/400K will not come out,
till next year:  currently, the Turbo Floppy can't read/write the 800/
400K.

1.	Should I get the PLI's Turbo Floppy or the Drive 2.4+Rapport?
		Turbo Floppy can be obtained at about $325;
		Drive 2.4+Rapport has to be at least $500+ totally.

2.	The Kennect Tech said the PLI's Turbo Floppy is faster, since
it's connected to the SCCI port.
		How slow is the Drive 2.4, especially, when it
reads and writes the 1.2 to be 2.4 -- double the HD disks!

I have to decide as soon as possible which external drive to
buy -- Turbo Floppy or the Drive 2.4 -- therefore, any of your
experience, knowledge or opinion, regarding
	speed, prices, performance, flexibility and reliability, ..... etc.
is welcomed.

	Pls. reply also by email:  I don't constantly nor consistently
checking the newsgroups.

Mahalo!