[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What about this Ehman 19" monitor?

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) (11/14/89)

Following up on a reference made last week to the new Ehman 19" B&W
monitor, I too would like to hear from anyone who has tried it out or
seen it in action.

I called the Ehman sales department at 1-800-257-1666 and it's true,
they're selling the monitor PLUS card for just $899.  This is just a
little more than HALF the price of the Radius B&W two-page display +
card.  It even comes with a stand which is another $180 for the Radius
system.

So what's the scoop?  Am I an idiot to comtemplate buying one over the
phone? (They're available by UPS or Federal Express only from the
manufacturer.)  It comes with a 30-day "money-back" guarantee and has
at least a one year warranty.

BTW, the sales rep conceded that the Ehman monitor is truly black and
white (1 bit).  Is this also true for the Radius monochrome?

thanks for your support,
patrick--romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (11/14/89)

<< Would the original Poster please send me email. >>
<< I cannot Reply to your message.                 >>

     I, too, am interested in these new inexpensive b&w monitors.
I would like to buy the Ehman, but I heard that one should be leary
of that company.  If anyone has any information about the following
please let me know:

     Samsung Full Page Display $499  (Someone posted a nice review.  I might
                                      be able to find it if you want)
     Ehman   Dual Page Display $899  (Call 800-257-166 and ask for brochure)
     Cutting Edge Dual Page Display $999 (MacConnection, and the other mail
                                          order place)

All include the interface card.  Thanks 1E+09 !
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/16/89)

In article <917@occrsh.ATT.COM> jdsb@occrsh.UUCP (John_Babcock) writes:

><< Would the original Poster please send me email. >>
><< I cannot Reply to your message.                 >>
>
>     I, too, am interested in these new inexpensive b&w monitors.
>I would like to buy the Ehman, but I heard that one should be leary
>of that company.  If anyone has any information about the following
>please let me know:
>
>     Samsung Full Page Display $499  (Someone posted a nice review.  I might
>                                      be able to find it if you want)
>     Ehman   Dual Page Display $899  (Call 800-257-166 and ask for brochure)
>     Cutting Edge Dual Page Display $999 (MacConnection, and the other mail
>                                          order place)
>
>All include the interface card.  Thanks 1E+09 !
>* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
>* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
>* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.

I have had the Samsung/Cornerstone FPD for about 3 weeks now, and its great.
I use it in conjunction with a 13"color on my ci.  Its a bare bone system,
but it gets the job done.  WHile it would be nice to have a slightly less
dense display (this runs at about 84 dpi, which makes some stuff pretty small)
I cant complain at the price I paid. (495 from software that fits.  This price
is only advertised in Macweek, so make sure you tell them thats where you saw
the ad.)

I dont know anything about the other 2 displays, other than to point out that
Ehman and Cutting edge are the same company.  I really hate when companies
do this (have 2 identities, one for dealing direct, one for dealing through
channels).  It used to be true for Mirror/Warp 9, but now they just do the
direct sales.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (11/20/89)

In article <5735@lindy.Stanford.EDU> romeo@lindy.UUCP (Patrick Goebel) writes:
}
}BTW, the sales rep conceded that the Ehman monitor is truly black and
}white (1 bit).  Is this also true for the Radius monochrome?

No, the Radius 19" monitor is a gray-scale monitor.  If you buy a one-bit
video board for it (the TPD card) then it is effectively a monochrome (1-bit)
display.  However, if you guy a GS/C (Gray Scale/Color) video board for it
(available for the Mac II, IIx, IIcx, and IIci only), then it is an 8-bit
gray scale monitor that will display 256 levels of gray.  That could account
for some portaion of the price difference between the two...
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE