[comp.sys.mac.hardware] internal modems/faxmodems; "line manager"

carlo@eagle.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (11/19/89)

Does an "internal" modem take up a slot? Or is it just plugged into the
serial port that's devoted to the modem, at the back of the Mac? If it does
not, why does LaCie (MacWorld, December, p. 10) talk about an internal
faxmodem for the MacPortable: would this not fit in *any* Mac, if it does
in the portable?

While on the subject of LaCie: what does the phone line manager they
advertise (same ad) do? I understand you can be faxing, transferring data
and talking on your phone, all at the same time, through some sort of
multiplexing -- am I right? If so, what sort of voice quality do you get
and what sort of decrease in baud rates do you suffer? It's bad enough to
be on a multiplexed transatlantic phone call, that I don't think I would
want all my calls to sound like that!

Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu

t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) (11/20/89)

In article <4147@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:

>Does an "internal" modem take up a slot? Or is it just plugged into the
>serial port that's devoted to the modem, at the back of the Mac? If it does
>not, why does LaCie (MacWorld, December, p. 10) talk about an internal
>faxmodem for the MacPortable: would this not fit in *any* Mac, if it does
>in the portable?

No. The Portable has a special internal port just for a modem card.

>While on the subject of LaCie: what does the phone line manager they
>advertise (same ad) do? I understand you can be faxing, transferring data
>and talking on your phone, all at the same time, through some sort of
>multiplexing -- am I right? If so, what sort of voice quality do you get
>and what sort of decrease in baud rates do you suffer? It's bad enough to
>be on a multiplexed transatlantic phone call, that I don't think I would
>want all my calls to sound like that!
>
>Carlo.

I don't have the ad in front of me at the moment, but that is not the impress-
ion I got at all. I took it that the manager could tell which kind of call
was comming in and route it to the modem, the fax, or the phone. One at a
time though.

Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

carlo@zebra.cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov19.233418.15096@hellgate.utah.edu> t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu (Tony Jacobs) writes:
>In article <4147@ur-cc.UUCP> carlo@cvs.rochester.edu (Carlo Tiana) writes:
>>
>>While on the subject of LaCie: what does the phone line manager they
>>advertise (same ad) do? I understand you can be faxing, transferring data
>
>I don't have the ad in front of me at the moment, but that is not the impress-
>ion I got at all. I took it that the manager could tell which kind of call
>was comming in and route it to the modem, the fax, or the phone. One at a
>time though.
>
>Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

I called LaCie -- Tony is right: it routes incoming calls and makes sure
you don't accidentally cut off a fax/modem session if you pick up the phone
(it gives you a busy signal, apparently). May be useful, but I still think
some kind of multiplexer would be nice.... Or maybe I should get another
phone line???

Carlo.

carlo@cvs.rochester.edu