[comp.sys.mac.hardware] tone meaning

rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) (11/18/89)

Does anyone know what the various tones mean?  When
one of our Mac II or IIxs comes up and it's unhappy
about something, a different sequence of tones
comes out of the system, instead of the single short
_note_ they normally sound when they're first powered
up and are happy.

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/20/89)

In article <6810@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes:
>Does anyone know what the various tones mean?  When
>one of our Mac II or IIxs comes up and it's unhappy
>about something, a different sequence of tones

   A single chord means "Hardware fault."  The chord with a single tone
afterward means "RAM error" and so does the chord with two tones.  The
distinction I am not sure about.

  -- Mark

rgm@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Menke) (11/20/89)

In article <6810@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu writes:
>Does anyone know what the various tones mean?

There is a program written by Apple Computer called "Diagnostic Sound Sampler"
which will play the various sounds that the computer can make on startup.  It's
probably available at your local favorite FTP server.

"NFS server not responding still trying	| Robert Menke
 NFS server OK" is the biggest lie in	|   rgm@OCF.berkeley.edu
the world... -P. Hilfinger		|   Robert.Menke@bmug.fidonet.org
               TEAM CS -- Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today!

rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) (11/21/89)

In article <6810@dime.cs.umass.edu>, rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes...

>Does anyone know what the various tones mean?  When
>one of our Mac II or IIxs comes up and it's unhappy
>about something, a different sequence of tones
>comes out of the system, instead of the single short
>_note_ they normally sound when they're first powered
>up and are happy.

Many thanks to all who responded. Please send no more!

-J