[comp.sys.mac.hardware] PLI 1.4MB floppy

dce@sony.com (David Elliott) (11/06/89)

A number of people have asked about this item, but I haven't seen
any info.  So, I'll ask again:

	1. Does this unit connect to the SCSI port on a Mac II?

	2. Does it work more or less like an external floppy?

	3. What formats will it read, write, and format?

If I get any information privately, I'll post a summary.
--
David Elliott
dce@sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (11/22/89)

In article <1989Nov6.145230.11561@sony.com>, dce@sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
> A number of people have asked about this item, but I haven't seen
> any info.  So, I'll ask again:
>
> 	1. Does this unit connect to the SCSI port on a Mac II?
>
> 	2. Does it work more or less like an external floppy?
>
> 	3. What formats will it read, write, and format?
>
> If I get any information privately, I'll post a summary.
> --
David
	I looked at one of these at the distributors yesterday, as we were
thinking of upgrading our Mac Plus lab to use HD Floppies.
It does connect to the SCSI port but:
It uses a nonstandard DB25 to DB25 cable. Both the ports are DB25 sockets, and
it appears to be internally terminated.
It has an external power supply that never appears in the advertising
literature.
It does not have a servo-motor eject. It appears to be an IBM MFM drive with
SCSI connection.
There is no mention made of any other format than 1.44Mb. The distributor was
not exactly candid on this, and so I don't know for sure, but I suspect it will
allow you to format a DD floppy to 1.4 (and then try to read it in a
superdrive..):-(
It is a much longer case than the Apple drive, by about 4 inches (guessing),
but is cleverly foreshortened in the photograph in the brochure--

*Mini Flame*
I like PLI products. I use, sell and recommend the PLI 44Mb removable media HD
over all the other comparable products. I like the local distributor for PLI.
BUT I found the advertising misleading, and the product fell far short of my
expectations. It does not comply to accepted standards in Mac peripherals; I
was prepared to live with the fact the 44Mb drive was internally terminated,
but I'm tired of fascist assumptions about the length of my SCSI chain.
I was quite keen before I saw one in the flesh. Now I doubt if I'll buy any
at all, and certainly won't promote them.
Apart from that, caveat emptor.
Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@acad.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr