[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Connor Peripherals

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (10/26/89)

Has anyone had any experience with 3.5" winchesters from this
manufacturer? I am thinking of buying their 40 Mb model with embedded
SCSI controller.

The specs look good: voice coil head positioner, 8k byte cache,
auto-park on power off, 28 ms access (if my memory serves me right ...)

Michael M.Y. Hui 604-293-6011  hui@mprgate.mpr.ca

greg@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Gregory James) (10/28/89)

I think I remember reading that Apple has put a 3.5" Connor hard drive in
their Mac Portable, largely because it is virtually bullet- and shock-
proof (Don't try this at home kids).  Even though Apple hard drives are
horrendously overpriced, I can't fault their quality.

On the issue of Jasmine drives, I have two things against the company.
First, they have these really glossy two page ads for hard drives that
are (almost) the same as everybody else's (same Quantum HDU).  The money
for these ads has to come from somewhere ...

Second, they have an exclusive Canadian dealership plan.  This means that
they grant exclusive marketing rights for Jasmine drives to certain
Canadian dealers, who take this as a carte blanche to print money.
Apparently they charge close to $1000(Can) [$850US] for a 20MB drive.
Why the Hell would I buy there stuff when I can get a 80MB drive
shipped over the border for the same money?!  I hate exclusive
dealerships, and I try to avoid supporting companies that practice
it (Apple Canada is a necessary, though stupid, evil.  Oh, the
stories I can tell about Apple Canada ...)

Samurai Cat
greg@cpsc.ucalgary.ca

tag@symbas.UUCP (Arne Gisvold) (10/30/89)

In article <1843@eric.mpr.ca> hui@mprgate.mpr.ca (Michael M.Y. Hui) writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with 3.5" winchesters from this
>manufacturer? I am thinking of buying their 40 Mb model with embedded
>SCSI controller.

I had the opportunity to look inside a Macintosh portable a few days
ago - and the harddisk used was a Connor disk. This should indicate
that Apple at least find them quite acceptable!

They are also very low weight and use very little power as far as i
recall.

Regards
Tor-Arne

--
!  Tor-Arne Gisvold   -   Symbiotic Computer Systems A/S
!  adress : Sandgt. 2 ,  N7001 Trondheim, Norway

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/01/89)

The Canadian division of Hamilton/Avnet Computer sells the Connor
CP340 40 Mbyte SCSI drive for $621 Cdn., FST included, PST not included.
Their CP3104 at 100 Mbyte goes for $1100.

If anyone has seen these going for any less, please post.
If not, I most likely will go for one of them.

Thanks for all the valuable feed back so far, especially the Mac
Portable tip.

CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (11/22/89)

In article <1843@eric.mpr.ca>, hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience with 3.5" winchesters from this
> manufacturer? I am thinking of buying their 40 Mb model with embedded
> SCSI controller.
>
> The specs look good: voice coil head positioner, 8k byte cache,
> auto-park on power off, 28 ms access (if my memory serves me right ...)
>
> Michael M.Y. Hui 604-293-6011  hui@mprgate.mpr.ca
--
Michael
	I am using a Connors HD40 at the moment, as it is fitted to the Mac
Portable I play with at night :-)
It is reasonable quiet, quick, and as tough as boots! This machine is the first
portable in the State, and we are about last on the list to have a play with
it: every man and his dog have thrashed this machine. It's done the rounds of
resellers and MegaCorps for weeks now, and hasn't missed a beat.
I would not be disappointed if Apple got into these drives in a big way, based
on my experience to date..(mind you, I thought the Quantum 3.5" sounded good)

Cheers
Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@acad.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (11/23/89)

In article <1370@mail.cut.oz> CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) writes:
>	I am using a Connors HD40 at the moment, as it is fitted to the Mac
>Portable I play with at night :-)

Connor now makes a 100 MB version at the same size for about $1K.
But I am really tempted to get the 380 MB 5.25" for $1.7K mentioned
earlier on the Net as a good buy ...