[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Apple 13" Color Monitor wobbles

mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com (Rob Mitchell) (11/23/89)

	The whole image on my Color Monitor wobbles.  It acts as though
there may be a magnetic field around, but there isn't.  Besides, I have
a bunch of other monitors and tty terminals in my office that behave
properly (I've turned them off and 'sides, they're not close enough to
cause disturbance).

	Any ideas?

--

Rob Mitchell  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  01776 (508) 443-7311
      ...!uunet!tci!mitchell         mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com

korn@anableps.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (11/25/89)

In <445@tci.bell-atl.com>, mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com (Rob Mitchell) said:

>	The whole image on my Color Monitor wobbles.  It acts as though
>there may be a magnetic field around, but there isn't....
>
>	Any ideas?

There is a known problem with Apple Color monitors within a certain
serial number range of early serial numbers that exhibit this problem.
About 2 years ago there was a Service Notice on AppleLink to this effect,
saying that Apple Dealers should repair/replace the monitors at no cost
to people who brought them in.

My monitor was in the serial number range and exhibited the problem
intermittantly, so I brought it in to my repair shop at U.C. Berkeley.
It never happened for them, so they refused to repair it.  I got real
busy and couldn't deal with it then, and now it happens so infrequently
that I haven't bothered.  Instead, however, my monitor will no longer
show a true black and has a faint border around the actual image on the
screen (as if the brightness were up too high except it's not).  Lacking
time, I haven't pushed hard on any of the local dealers to fix it.

Perhaps your monitor is in that serial number range?  Perhaps you can find
an Apple Dealer who is willing to honor the service notice (which, as far
as I can find, is no longer on AppleLink)?

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@mica.Berkeley.EDU

chou@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Hsiang Chou) (11/27/89)

In article <19899@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> korn@anableps.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
>In <445@tci.bell-atl.com>, mitchell@tci.bell-atl.com (Rob Mitchell) said:
>>
>>	The whole image on my Color Monitor wobbles.  It acts as though
>>there may be a magnetic field around, but there isn't....
>>
>>	Any ideas?
>
>There is a known problem with Apple Color monitors within a certain
>serial number range of early serial numbers that exhibit this problem.

	Can you mail me or post the serial number range?
>that I haven't bothered.  Instead, however, my monitor will no longer
>show a true black and has a faint border around the actual image on the
>screen (as if the brightness were up too high except it's not).  Lacking
>time, I haven't pushed hard on any of the local dealers to fix it.

	I had a similar problem as yours. My screen won't turn black
in the image area even when I turned the brightness and contrast all
the way down, although the border is always black.

	I fixed this problem by turning an undocumented knob on the
back of the Apple color monitor. It's located at the top of a column
of knobs (under a hood) including Horizontal and Vertical Sync. You
can find this place from your monitor's manual. However, no documentation
is given for this knob which has an icon of the sun (i.e. brightness,
I guess).  I simply turned the knob in one direction, then I got the
screen to show true black. The only caveat is that the ranges of the
user adjustable brightness and contrast become shorter than before.

--
Chih-Hsiang Chou	chou@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Department of Computer Science