[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 5.25" Hard Disk in a IIci?

kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) (11/14/89)

I want to mount my existing 150MB 5.25" drive in a Mac IIci.  Does anyone
know of a company that makes a mounting bracket to put a 5.25" hard disk
in a IIcx/i?  Has anyone done this?  Does it interfere with any of the
NuBus or Cache card slots?

Thanks
/Matt
--
Matt Kingman  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  (508)443-7311
      ...!uunet!tci!kingman         kingman@tci.bell-atl.com

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/14/89)

In article <429@tci.bell-atl.com> kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) writes:

>I want to mount my existing 150MB 5.25" drive in a Mac IIci.  Does anyone
>know of a company that makes a mounting bracket to put a 5.25" hard disk
>in a IIcx/i?  Has anyone done this?  Does it interfere with any of the
>NuBus or Cache card slots?
>
>Thanks
>/Matt
>--
>Matt Kingman  Technology Concepts Inc.  Sudbury, MA.  (508)443-7311
>      ...!uunet!tci!kingman         kingman@tci.bell-atl.com
>     TCI is not responsible for my opinions, nor I for theirs...

Micronet has done this (They are also the ones who had 2 wren runners
wired as one, as described in the previous article), I have one of their
Wren V 173 meg drives in my ci as I write this. It does not interfere with
the nubus slots, but it does block use of the cache slot, at least with
current (ie the daystar) cache cards.  If someone could come out with
a lower profile cache card things would be ok.

Also, they will not sell the bracket alone, as they feel they invested alot
in its development.

Josh
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (dcbii) (11/14/89)

In article <429@tci.bell-atl.com> kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) writes:

>I want to mount my existing 150MB 5.25" drive in a Mac IIci.  Does anyone
>know of a company that makes a mounting bracket to put a 5.25" hard disk
>in a IIcx/i?  Has anyone done this?  Does it interfere with any of the
>NuBus or Cache card slots?

If anyone knows the answer, please post.  I would also like to know if such
a product exists

Dave Barnhart
NCR Corp.
Engineering & Manufacturing
West Columbia, SC  29169

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (11/14/89)

In article <429@tci.bell-atl.com> kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (Matt Kingman) writes:

>I want to mount my existing 150MB 5.25" drive in a Mac IIci.  Does anyone
>know of a company that makes a mounting bracket to put a 5.25" hard disk
>in a IIcx/i?  Has anyone done this?  Does it interfere with any of the
>NuBus or Cache card slots?

Well, I can report that someone wanting to mount a 5.25" drive in a IIcx
or IIci should do so very cautiously.

The IIcx/ci power supply is not very robust, certainly not on the order
of the venerable II and IIx.  I've discovered to my chagrin that most
video cards (or other Nubus devices) and power-hungry drives do not
co-exist peacefully.

MicroNet has fabricated a mounting bracket for use with their CDC
5.25" half-height drives in the IIcx and IIci.  The drive doesn't
interfere with any of the internal hardware or Nubus space.

Woe betide, though, if you want to run your Radius or E-Machines
video card (or, I imagine, many if not most other Nubus cards)
at the same time.  Given that the power supply is so wimpy,
you might be better off mounting the drive in a room of its own,
with its own power supply.

(Strangely, I can get the IIci to work with the internal 5.25"
drive and Radius card, but only when an external hard disk is
attached and powered up; without that, I get the sweet arpeggio
which denotes a hardware fault.  Removing all Nubus cards works
too, but you can't do too much without a monitor :-(.)

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

ieee@smu.uucp (IEEE group account) (11/16/89)

In article <1989Nov14.152256.303@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:

>(Strangely, I can get the IIci to work with the internal 5.25"
>drive and Radius card, but only when an external hard disk is
>attached and powered up; without that, I get the sweet arpeggio
>which denotes a hardware fault.  Removing all Nubus cards works
>too, but you can't do too much without a monitor :-(.)

What do you need NuBus slots for with a IIci?  It has internal
video :)

-Fred

-  Fred Hollander              |  AppleLink: F.Hollander                      -
-  President                   |  CIS:       72077,3544                       -
-  Software Innovations, Inc.  |  Internet:  f.hollander@applelink.apple.com  -
-                                                                             -
-  SMU is not responsible for the content of this posting.                    -

gordon@cs.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (11/17/89)

In article <1989Nov14.152256.303@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>(Strangely, I can get the IIci to work with the internal 5.25"
>drive and Radius card, but only when an external hard disk is
>attached and powered up; without that, I get the sweet arpeggio
>which denotes a hardware fault.  Removing all Nubus cards works
>too, but you can't do too much without a monitor :-(.)

I can think of a couple of explanations for this, both having to do with
the way SCSI terminators are powered.  First: when you hooked up the
external drive, did you disconnect any of the internal terminating
resistors networks?  The naive (i.e. standard :-() way of setting up
the terminators draws about 15mA when idle.  The second, more sinister
possibility is that either the IIci or your internal HD may connect the
SCSI bus's "terminator power" line directly to +5, allowing the external
HD's power supply to help power things inside the IIci.  This sort of
setup is rather unstable, though it may work if the two power supplies
are tuned right.  (You're supposed to run terminator power through a
diode to avoid this, but Apple hasn't always done this in the past.  I
don't know what they do on the IIci.)

Actually, I can think of a third possibility, namely that either the
IIci or the internal HD may have its terminators powered through the
SCSI bus's "terminator power" line.  If is was done right, this would
allow the external HD to power the internal terminators without also
connecting to the +5 supply.  This is very unlikely; I don't know of
anyone who goes to this sort of trouble over terminator power.

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141

llittle@ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Larry Little) (11/18/89)

In article <5362@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> dcbii@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM writes:
>In article <429@tci.bell-atl.com> kingman@tci.bell-atl.com (M Kingman) writes:
>>
>>I want to mount my existing 150MB 5.25" drive in a Mac IIci.  Does anyone
>>know of a company that makes a mounting bracket to put a 5.25" hard disk
>>in a IIcx/i?  Has anyone done this?  Does it interfere with any of the
>>NuBus or Cache card slots?
>
>If anyone knows the answer, please post.  I would also like to know if such
>a product exists

MicroNet Technology (Irvine, CA; 714-837-6033) sells four models of
internal drives for IIcx's and IIci's of size 105, 173, 303, and 404 MB.
Access times range from 15-18 ms.  These are all CDC/Imprimis Wren V or
VI's.  (5.25")  I don't believe they sell the brackets separately.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (11/19/89)

In article <1989Nov14.152256.303@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:

>(Strangely, I can get the IIci to work with the internal 5.25"
>drive and Radius card, but only when an external hard disk is
>attached and powered up; without that, I get the sweet arpeggio
>which denotes a hardware fault.  Removing all Nubus cards works
>too, but you can't do too much without a monitor :-(.)

Sounds like you don't have terminators for the internal drive.  The external
drive's terminators are enough to let the bus work.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (11/28/89)

In article <15996@pollux.UUCP> ieee@smu.UUCP (IEEE group account) writes:

>What do you need NuBus slots for with a IIci?  It has internal
>video :)

Well, you might want to hook up a video monitor which is larger than
Apple's 15" portrait display.  Or hook up a large monitor with more
than 1-bit color...

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\

ray@pike.cis.ohio-state.edu (william c ray) (11/28/89)

=>In article <15996@pollux.UUCP> ieee@smu.UUCP (IEEE group account) writes:

=>>What do you need NuBus slots for with a IIci?  It has internal
=>>video :)

=>Well, you might want to hook up a video monitor which is larger than
=>Apple's 15" portrait display.  Or hook up a large monitor with more
=>than 1-bit color...

or you might want to do something useful, like get an IEEE 488 interface
to use for data-acquisition, or a co-processor board, or find something
else more useful to do than use a $6000 dollar piece of equipment as
a pretty picture maker or overpriced, overfeatured typewriter.

Will Ray