[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac IIci Cache

lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) (11/21/89)

Could anyone elaborate on how the cache slot for the Mac IIci works?
Does the type of cache (direct-mapped, associative, set-associative)
depend on the certain type of card that is placed in the slot or is
the cache fixed into a certain type of organization?  I have heard
rumours that it is direct mapped only, but am not too sure about the
reliability of this comment.

Thanks.

/lih

""""""""""     /							    \
|  @  @  |     | Andrew "Fuz" Lih	Columbia University Center           |
<    >   > ___/   Academic Computing	 for Computing Activities            |
 \ \__/ / <___                                                               /
  \____/      \    lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu    AJLUS@CUVMB.BITNET         /
	       \    lih@cs.columbia.edu     ...rutgers!columbia!cunixc!lih |
                \__________________________________________________________/

noah@Apple.COM (Noah Price) (11/22/89)

In article <2228@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> lih@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Andrew Lih) writes:
>Could anyone elaborate on how the cache slot for the Mac IIci works?
>Does the type of cache (direct-mapped, associative, set-associative)
>depend on the certain type of card that is placed in the slot or is
>the cache fixed into a certain type of organization?

The cache connector supplies the signals needed to implement a cache.  The
cache card that is plugged in determines what type of cache and what size
cache.  For example, Daystar has a cache which is direct-mapped and 64 Kbytes
in size, but neither of these specs was dictated by the cache connector.

noah

noah@apple.com                                    Mac IIci Hardware Design Team
...!{sun,decwrl}!apple!noah                                Apple Computer, Inc.

wilson@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Paul Wilson) (11/23/89)

How big a cache can you put in this puppy?  Is this one of those
expandable things where you can use 1 or 4 cache chips, or something
like that, or are you limited to some particular size of cache if
you put one in at all?

Paul R. Wilson
Software Systems Laboratory               lab ph.: (312) 996-9216
U. of Illin. at C. EECS Dept. (M/C 154)   wilson@carcoar.stanford.edu
Box 4348   Chicago,IL 60680

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (11/28/89)

Does the Mac iici enable 68030 BURST mode on all RAM, or does one
need the cache to use BURST mode?  Does it enable BURST mode with
just 1M of RAM installed?
-Roger