[comp.sys.mac.hardware] RasterOps ColorBoard 264 and HyperCard

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/29/89)

    A question:

    For some odd reason, my RasterOps ColorBoard/264 has trouble when I try
to run HyperCard 1.2.2 in 2 bit mode, specifically that it dumps me into the
debugger and begins spitting "Unimplemented A-Trap, MacsBug caused the
exception." I'm running on a Mac II with system 6.0.4., 32-bit QD v. 1.0,
and rev 1.1 of the ColorBoard/264.  This problem crops up even with no inits
installed.
    Is this an artifact of not having HC 1.2.5?  Is it a problem with that
release?  Does it have something to do with visual effects?

   -- Mark Wilkins
      wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

martin@m2.csc.ti.com (Steven Martin) (11/29/89)

In article <3299@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>    For some odd reason, my RasterOps ColorBoard/264 has trouble when I try
>to run HyperCard 1.2.2 in 2 bit mode, specifically that it dumps me into the
>debugger and begins spitting "Unimplemented A-Trap, MacsBug caused the
>exception." I'm running on a Mac II with system 6.0.4., 32-bit QD v. 1.0,
>and rev 1.1 of the ColorBoard/264.  This problem crops up even with no inits
>installed.
>    Is this an artifact of not having HC 1.2.5?  Is it a problem with that
>release?  Does it have something to do with visual effects?

I have heard that HC 1.2.5 (which you are required to use with 6.0.4)
fixes the problem you describe.

Steve Martin            USENET: {ctvax,im4u,texsun,rice}!ti-csl!martin
                        ARPANET: SMARTIN@CSC.TI.COM  COMPUSERVE: 72727,1471
                        GENIE: S.MARTIN8    PHONE: (214)-995-0387, 404-1061
I'll have four whole fried chickens and a Coke. -Jake Blues

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (11/30/89)

From article <3299@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, by wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins):

>     A question:
>
>     For some odd reason, my RasterOps ColorBoard/264 has trouble when I try
> to run HyperCard 1.2.2 in 2 bit mode, specifically that it dumps me into the
> debugger and begins spitting "Unimplemented A-Trap, MacsBug caused the
> exception." I'm running on a Mac II with system 6.0.4., 32-bit QD v. 1.0,
> and rev 1.1 of the ColorBoard/264.  This problem crops up even with no inits
> installed.
>     Is this an artifact of not having HC 1.2.5?  Is it a problem with that
> release?  Does it have something to do with visual effects?

I would guess that it is an artifact of not having HC 1.2.5 as the info I got
from Apple SPECIFICALLY says:

	A) Do NOT run HC versions before 1.2.5 on system 6.0.4
	B) Do NOT run HC 1.2.5 on systems before 6.0.4

I think you need to upgrade your HC.  I have a RasterOps 264 board and have
had no problems with HC 1.2.5 and sys 6.0.4 at any bit depth.

	- Ed Rotberg -

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (11/30/89)

In article <3299@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>    For some odd reason, my RasterOps ColorBoard/264 has trouble when I try
>to run HyperCard 1.2.2 in 2 bit mode, specifically that it dumps me into the
>debugger and begins spitting "Unimplemented A-Trap, MacsBug caused the
>exception." I'm running on a Mac II with system 6.0.4., 32-bit QD v. 1.0,
>and rev 1.1 of the ColorBoard/264.  This problem crops up even with no inits
>installed.
>    Is this an artifact of not having HC 1.2.5?  Is it a problem with that
>release?  Does it have something to do with visual effects?

Get HyperCard version 1.2.5.  Earlier versions of HC are not
compatible with System 6.0.4 (How?  Why?  Apple isn't saying), and,
FYI, earlier versions of the System are not compatible with HC 1.2.5.
That's just the way it is.

Try HC 1.2.5.  If it doesn't work, ask again...

     << Brian >>
--
| Brian S. Kendig       |  I feel more like I   | bskendig                   |
| Computer Engineering  |  did when I got here  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU     |

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (11/30/89)

In article <11819@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>In article <3299@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>>    For some odd reason, my RasterOps ColorBoard/264 has trouble when I try
>>to run HyperCard 1.2.2 in 2 bit mode, specifically that it dumps me into the
>>debugger and begins spitting "Unimplemented A-Trap, MacsBug caused the
>>exception." I'm running on a Mac II with system 6.0.4., 32-bit QD v. 1.0,
>>and rev 1.1 of the ColorBoard/264.  This problem crops up even with no inits
>>installed.

>Get HyperCard version 1.2.5.  Earlier versions of HC are not
>compatible with System 6.0.4 (How?  Why?  Apple isn't saying), and,
>FYI, earlier versions of the System are not compatible with HC 1.2.5.
>That's just the way it is.

  Now wait a minute...  This might solve the problem, as some people have
suggested, but that still leaves one thing unanswered.  Several people have
E-mailed to me that they are experiencing the same troubles except that each
of them is using system 6.0.3.

  Don't be so quick to assume that the problem is that HC hasn't been
upgraded...  although I do intend to upgrade, there are others with the same
problem who are running 6.0.3 and HC 1.2.2.

   Thanks for your help with my problem, though.  It looks more like a 1.2.2
bug than an incompatibility with the system software.
   -- Mark Wilkins
      wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu