[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Request for Info on FLOPTICAL drives

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (11/16/89)

Has anybody out there used one of the new FLOPTICAL 3-1/2" drives on a
Mac?  Specifically, I'm looking at the Insite Peripherals Floptical SCSI drive
that I'd be attaching to my IIcx that's running A/UX 1.1.

I'd like to hear from anybody that's got one of those up and running, whether its
under Mac OS or A/UX.

			--Ryan

ryan@amc-vlsi.uucp		|	Ryan Jorgenson
ryan@amc-vlsi.ucalgary.ca	|	The Alberta Microelectronic Centre

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (11/25/89)

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes in article <853@amc-vlsi.UUCP>:
      Has anybody out there used one of the new FLOPTICAL 3-1/2" drives on a
      Mac?  Specifically, I'm looking at the Insite Peripherals Floptical SCSI drive
      that I'd be attaching to my IIcx that's running A/UX 1.1.

      I'd like to hear from anybody that's got one of those up and running, whether its
      under Mac OS or A/UX.

I have a COSMOS 600mb from RACET optical read/write unit for testing.
It works OK both under A/UX and MacOS.  If you want to create A/UX
partitions, first create HFS ones, and change the type with 'dp' from
the A/UX side. The media conforms to ISO, and has a capacity of 298Mb
formatted on two-sides.

The access time is about 50ms, not bad, not good... I don't know who sells
these units in US.

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik  --  ksand@appleoz.oz.AU  | Apple Australia DTS  Ph: +61 2 452 82 93
{uunet,mcvax}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand | AppleLink: AUSTAUX, Discl: All comments mine

ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) (12/04/89)

In article <848@appleoz.oz.au>, ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) writes:
> ryan (Ryan Jorgenson) writes in article <853@amc-vlsi.UUCP>:
>       Has anybody out there used one of the new FLOPTICAL 3-1/2" drives on a
>       Mac?  Specifically, I'm looking at the Insite Peripherals Floptical SCSI drive
[lines deleted]
>       I'd like to hear from anybody that's got one of those up and running, whether its
>       under Mac OS or A/UX.
>
> I have a COSMOS 600mb from RACET optical read/write unit for testing....
[more lines deleted]

> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Sandvik  --  ksand@appleoz.oz.AU  | Apple Australia DTS  Ph: +61 2 452 82 93
> {uunet,mcvax}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand | AppleLink: AUSTAUX, Discl: All comments mine
> -- CyberSpace, the Final Frontier --

  I should have been more specific in my original posting:

     A "FLOPTICAL" disk is Insite Peripherals term for a standard 3.5" magnetic
floppy which has had optical track-alignment marks added to the media.  These
alignment markings allow them to pack a *HUGE* number of tracks on a 3.5" floppy,
and hence cram a *HUGE* (20 MB) amount of data onto a floppy.
     The prices I've seen for the drives (in recent BYTE Magazine issues)
are ~$500 U.S, with the cost of the Floptical disks being ~$7 - $12 U.S.

     Better still, the access times are quoted as being (working from memory)
around 65 ms.  These things would not only make great BACKUP devices, but
are practical as low-cost removable hard-drives.

   So, to reiterate my original question:  has anybody got one of these
up and running on a MAC under either MacOS or A/UX?