[comp.sys.mac.hardware] HD disks in a low density drive

vturner@dante.nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (11/28/89)

I heard somewhere that High Density Mac Disks shouldn't be used on a
low density drive (400 or 800K).  I kindof understand why this might
be, but I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some
technical information that confirms this (or not, I'd just like to
know which it is).

Any help would be appreciated,

Vaughan
--
Vaughan Turner                               BITNET:  mcswvt@nmsuvm1.bitnet
Box 3AT Computer Center                    INTERNET:  vturner@nmsu.edu

phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) (11/28/89)

In article <VTURNER.89Nov27165819@dante.nmsu.EDU> vturner@dante.nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) writes:
>I heard somewhere that High Density Mac Disks shouldn't be used on a
>low density drive (400 or 800K).  I kindof understand why this might
>be, but I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some
>technical information that confirms this (or not, I'd just like to
>know which it is).
>
>Any help would be appreciated,

     Well, there are two reasons that I know/have heard of for not using HD
disks in a normal drive (aside from the obvious one of wasting money... :) ).
    1) I've talked to several people who theoretically know a lot about such
things, and they say that the magnetic coating on the HD disks is not
designed for the level/type of current that drives use in writing to the
lower-density formats, and that more frequent I/O errors result.  I've never
run into this personally, but it's something you might want to consider if
you're storing critical data.
    2) Let's say you ignore 1), and initialize a high-density disk with a
400/800K format in a 400/800K drive.  You then try to use said disk in a
FDHD (high-density) drive.  The Apple FDHD will steadfastly refuse to admit
the possibility that an HD disk could conceivably be formatted in anything
other than the HD format, and the Mac will give you the infamous "This disk is
unreadable" dialog, even though the disk is fine.  There is a way around this:
just put a strip of dark tape over the square hole at the top-left corner of
the HD disk.  Of course, beware the usual hazards of tape getting stuck in
your drive and disks getting stuck and other such catastrophes.

--
Internet: phaedrus@u.washington.edu        (University of Washington, Seattle)
  The views expressed here are not those of this station or its management.

vturner@dante.nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (11/29/89)

I have gotten several responses on how to *make* HD disks work as low
density, and I appreciate the help.

But what I was looking for is reasons *NOT* to do this.  I work in a
macintosh lab where *lots* of students want me to recover disks for
them.  If this could be minimized by not using HD disks as low
density, that would make me happier.

So, to clarify: I know you can use tape to fool the FDHD, but my
question is: Can you do this without added fear of losing information
off of the disk, and if so, why did Apple make the FDHD sensitive to
the second hole, instead of letting you take your chances formatting a
low density disk in a HD drive.

Many people have commented on my using HD disks as low density disks
and wasting money in the process.  Although noone probably cares, I'm
not the one who does this, but several of our users *do*.

Our lab setting is a mixture of Plusses, SEs, SE/30s, and IIcxs, so HD
problems will be a reality soon, I was just hoping to go into the
fight well informed.

Once again, any help appreciated,

Vaughan
--

legg@sirius.ua.oz.au (Christian Legg) (11/29/89)

Vaughan Turner (vturner@nmsu.edu) writes...

>I heard somewhere that High Density Mac Disks shouldn't be used on a
>low density drive (400 or 800K).  I kindof understand why this might
>be, but I was wondering if anyone could point me towards some
>technical information that confirms this (or not, I'd just like to
>know which it is).

Well Vaughan, I believe the answer that you are looking for is a technical one.
It is possible to format an HD disk in a Plus or SE (or similar 800k drive
equipped Mac) and use it as a 400/800 k disc. However, if you then place
this disk into a Mac with an HD disk drive it will try to read the disk as a
1.44 meg disk regardless. This is enforced by hardware - the Mac detects the
extra hole in the disk and assumes that it is a 1.44 meg disk. Thus, it
considers the 800k disk as faulty and gives you the option of formatting it.

This problem could probably be overcome by blocking the high density hole, but
then you may as well use normal 800k capable disks!

    Christian Legg

* Christian Legg,                *                                          *
* University Computing Services, *  'Base 8 is just like base 10 really...  *
* University of Adelaide.        *  ...if you're missing two fingers.'      *
*                                *                                          *
* (08) 228 5549                  *                       Tom Lehrer         *
* ACSnet : legg@sirius.ua.oz     *                                          *

allison@oyster.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark Allison) (11/30/89)

Well Vaughan, I have been using HD disks in low density drives for a
couple of months now with no problems at all.  I also know several
people who have used DD disks in SD drives, with no problems.  The only
problem would be if you tried to format DD disks with HD format.  800K
would fit onto a 1.4M disk easily.

By the way, the reason I have been buying HD disks lately is that I am
anticipating buying an SE 30 (which of course comes with the HD drive)
and I don't want to waste any more money on 800K disks...  all I will
have to do is copy the data off of the disks, then reformat them to get
the full 1.4M.  I have tried this part too, and it works flawlessly.

Mark
--
Mark Allison  - allison@cis.ohio-state.edu

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
                             ---  Hunter S. Thompson
-=-

datta@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Slarti) (12/06/89)

In article <4658@blake.acs.washington.edu> phaedrus@blake.acs.washington.edu (the Wanderer) writes:
>    2) Let's say you ignore 1), and initialize a high-density disk with a
>400/800K format in a 400/800K drive.  You then try to use said disk in a
>FDHD (high-density) drive.  The Apple FDHD will steadfastly refuse to admit
>the possibility that an HD disk could conceivably be formatted in anything
>other than the HD format, and the Mac will give you the infamous "This disk is
>unreadable" dialog, even though the disk is fine.  There is a way around this:
>just put a strip of dark tape over the square hole at the top-left corner of
>the HD disk.  Of course, beware the usual hazards of tape getting stuck in
>your drive and disks getting stuck and other such catastrophes.

I have found that if you put the 800K formatted HD disk in a SuperDrive,
you get the unique "This disk is incorrectly formatted for this drive"
error message, and this appears to be the only case where that message occurs,
so you can tell what's going wrong.

I have also found (this could be my imagination) that if I format HD disks
low-density, they sometimes refuse to reformat in an HD format and are thus
basically trashed.... I have no idea why this occurs or if it is caused by the
800K format, but it is something to think about.

user7@amdcad.AMD.COM (Unix class) (12/07/89)

>I have also found (this could be my imagination) that if I format HD disks
>low-density, they sometimes refuse to reformat in an HD format and are thus
>basically trashed.... I have no idea why this occurs or if it is caused by the
>800K format, but it is something to think about.

If this is purely a software problem(i.e. it's because the 800K formatting
left some garbage info behind) and not a hardware prob (damaged the disk
physically) then try formatting it on an IBM drive as a 1.44m (or 720k?)
and then reformat it on the mac.  Basically, you want to remove whatever
garbage the 800k formatter left behind.
		-Chung