[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Hardware & network recommendations

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (12/06/89)

[ replies directed to *.hardware, but email is preferred -- I'll summarize ]

I have just been told I can purchase a few new Mac systems, but must
make a decision within about 10 days.  To help me in this, I seek the
collective expertise of the net.

One of the things I would like to establish is some sort of LAN.  We
currently have 2 Pluses and one II; I hope to get another Plus, an
SE/30 and either a IIcx or a portable.  We also will have a couple of
HP Vectras (MSDOS) and a handful of HP 9000s.  I'd like to integrate
the Vectras, and leave open the future possibility of adding the 9000s.
I would much rather use Ethernet rather than Appletalk, but I'm not
sure how well this would work.

* Can a MacPlus be outfitted with Ethernet?  An SE?  An SE/30?  I'm
  certain the II series can.

* What networking software exists, either for serial-based or Ethernet
  connections?  What do you use?  Would you recommend using it or
  avoiding it?

* We currently have an ImageWriteII (with AppleTalk option) and a
  LaserWriterIINT.  How can these best be integrated into the net?

* One plan is to put about a 40MB hard drive on each machine, along
  with a SyQuest on each.  I would rather see about 20MB on each
  machine with about a 300MB drive as a file server.  How can I best
  set up a file server?  Must it be dedicated, or can it also be used
  by humans?

* Currently the only need is for Mac use, but not considering other
  systems now before comitting would, IMHO, be stupid.  How well does
  your LAN-of-choice work with MSDOS?  UNIX?  Others?

We have an immediate need for two systems to interface with some
analytical chemistry equipment.  A MacPlus would be powerful enough
to handle one system.  However, we are very tight on computers for
interactive use.  No one wants to sit and work on the Pluses.  I don't
go in to work if I can't get the II to do my development on, and
was seriously bummed when Apple took back their demo IIx they gave us.

* Is it foolish to be putting money into a slow, non-expandable
  machine like the Plus?  It's cheap, and it can do today's job,
  but I question its future.

* Any thoughts on using MultiFinder for applications such as this?
  It would be great to have one Mac control both machines, but is
  MultiFinder up to this?  The programs interact with the equimpent
  through the serial port, and (I believe) require very little CPU
  horsepower.  (I'll also speak to the developers of the software
  in question.)

* Any arguments pro/con on the portable?  My opinion is, given the
  price/performance, the only reason for getting one is yuppie lust.

* How soon until I can get a IIci and be reasonably sure that things
  won't randomly break because it's such a new machine?  How much of
  a problem is this now?  I hear more reports of "Why did xxx break
  on my IIci" than I do "Wow, the IIci is a great machine".

Finally,

* What questions are so obvious that only a fool such as I would
  overlook them?

I apologize for the length of this, but this was just dumped into my
lap with no warning.  I'll gladly discuss details further through
email.  Sales-types are welcome, but I'm really looking for experiences
from real users.  Thanks for your time and patience.

In article <2089@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>[ replies directed to *.hardware, but email is preferred -- I'll summarize ]
>
>I have just been told I can purchase a few new Mac systems, but must
>make a decision within about 10 days.  To help me in this, I seek the
>collective expertise of the net.
>
>One of the things I would like to establish is some sort of LAN.  We
>currently have 2 Pluses and one II; I hope to get another Plus, an
>SE/30 and either a IIcx or a portable.  We also will have a couple of
>HP Vectras (MSDOS) and a handful of HP 9000s.  I'd like to integrate
>the Vectras, and leave open the future possibility of adding the 9000s.
>I would much rather use Ethernet rather than Appletalk, but I'm not
>sure how well this would work.
>
>* Can a MacPlus be outfitted with Ethernet?  An SE?  An SE/30?  I'm
>  certain the II series can.
SE's and SE/030s can.  Plus's can't, to my knowledge. All Ethernet is
expensive.

>* One plan is to put about a 40MB hard drive on each machine, along
>  with a SyQuest on each.  I would rather see about 20MB on each
>  machine with about a 300MB drive as a file server.  How can I best
>  set up a file server?  Must it be dedicated, or can it also be used
>  by humans?
Don't use 20MB drives-- the jump in performance from 20 to 40 is greater than
any other, in my experience.

>* How soon until I can get a IIci and be reasonably sure that things
>  won't randomly break because it's such a new machine?  How much of
>  a problem is this now?  I hear more reports of "Why did xxx break
>  on my IIci" than I do "Wow, the IIci is a great machine".
Never.  By the time the 'infant mortaility' settles down, a new machine
will be out, and things will ONLY work on it...
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec7.025549.2442@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
]In article <2089@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
]><stuff deleted>
]>currently have 2 Pluses and one II; I hope to get another Plus, an
]>SE/30 and either a IIcx or a portable.  We also will have a couple of
]>HP Vectras (MSDOS) and a handful of HP 9000s.  I'd like to integrate
]>the Vectras, and leave open the future possibility of adding the 9000s.
]>I would much rather use Ethernet rather than Appletalk, but I'm not
]>sure how well this would work.
]>
]>* Can a MacPlus be outfitted with Ethernet?  An SE?  An SE/30?  I'm
]>  certain the II series can.
]SE's and SE/030s can.  Plus's can't, to my knowledge. All Ethernet is
<more stuff deleted>
In fact, plus's can be hooked up to ethernet.  There are a few companies that
make SCSIethernet products.  One is, Adaptek's nodem.  Another is sold by
Nuvotech.

jh34607@suntc.UUCP (john howell) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.025549.2442@eng.umd.edu>, russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> In article <2089@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
> >[ replies directed to *.hardware, but email is preferred -- I'll summarize ]
> >
> >* Can a MacPlus be outfitted with Ethernet?  An SE?  An SE/30?  I'm
> >  certain the II series can.
> SE's and SE/030s can.  Plus's can't, to my knowledge. All Ethernet is
> expensive.

You can put any Mac with a SCSI port on the ethernet with a EtherSC from
Kinetics or other suppliers.  I believe I saw one advertised from
someone else for $495 list.

vallon@sbmiclr.CS.SunySB.EDU (Justin Vallon) (12/08/89)

(Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> >* Can a MacPlus be outfitted with Ethernet?  An SE?  An SE/30?  I'm
> >  certain the II series can.
> SE's and SE/030s can.  Plus's can't, to my knowledge. All Ethernet is
> expensive.

There are SCSI Ethernet interfaces by Kinetics & many others.  I'd be
surprised if they didn't work on Plusses.

> Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
> ][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?

-Justin
vallon@sbcs.sunysb.edu