[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 800K drive on a IIx?????

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/06/89)

Hello!

  I've received no replies to my question of whether it's possible to use an
800K drive with a Mac IIx.  I realize I'll need a cable to give myself an
external connection (anyone know where to get one?), but I still don't know
of the newer machines will take an 800K, or if they expect the FDHD...
If you know, PLEASE tell me!  I'd appreciate hearing from people using
external drives with this machine.  Good things, bad things, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

--Mike

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (12/07/89)

In article <1159@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>Hello!
>
>  I've received no replies to my question of whether it's possible to use an
>800K drive with a Mac IIx.  I realize I'll need a cable to give myself an
>external connection (anyone know where to get one?), but I still don't know
>of the newer machines will take an 800K, or if they expect the FDHD...
>If you know, PLEASE tell me!  I'd appreciate hearing from people using
>external drives with this machine.  Good things, bad things, etc.?

I don't know about the IIx and why it doesn't have a connector.  The IIcx has
a connector and I have an 800K external hooked up.  It works fine.  There's
nothing in the newer ROMs or the SWIM chip that prevents 800K external drives.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/07/89)

Greetings,

  Thanks to those of you who sent or posted replies to my question of whether
it is possible to use an 800K drive with a IIx.  The answer, apparently, is:

Yes, no problem.

  No problem, that is, except for the cable.  The IIx does not have an
external floppy connector, presumably because the expect that you will put
the second floppy inside (and thus Apple makes you buy their drive...).

  The fix is to buy/make a cable that connects to the internal floppy connector
and feeds outside, where you can then connect an external (and MUCH cheaper)
800K drive.

  NEW QUESTION:  Does anybody know where I can get such a cable, or possibly
the apropriate parts and a pin diagram to make one?

Thanks,

--Mike

meuchen@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Paul Eric Menchen) (12/07/89)

In article <1167@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu writes:
>Greetings,
>
>  Thanks to those of you who sent or posted replies to my question of whether
>it is possible to use an 800K drive with a IIx.  The answer, apparently, is:
>
>Yes, no problem.
>
>  No problem, that is, except for the cable.  The IIx does not have an
>external floppy connector, presumably because the expect that you will put
>the second floppy inside (and thus Apple makes you buy their drive...).

Doesn't anybody make an internal 800k drive besides Apple?  With all
of these suppliers of external floppies, it seems to me an internal
would be available.  It seems to me that I could buy an external,
remove the casing and install it in my Mac II. I would like to avoid
paying for a case and this hassle altogether, but is there any
reason this wouldn't work?

Paul Eric Menchen
meuchen@grad1.cis.upenn.edu

time@oxtrap.oxtrap.UUCP (Tim Endres) (12/09/89)

I tried parting my external and sticking the guts into my IIX.
I used the cable that was on the other internal. It did not work at
all. I am not sure why, but gave up. If someone knows the way to get
this combination working (i presume the cable is slightly different) I
would sure appreciate it.