[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 24-bits again

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/09/89)

From: John T. Nelson <jtn>
To: jkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu
Subject: Question about 24-bit colour

In article <1173@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> you write:
>Sigh,
>
>  I promise, this will be my last question for at least 12 hours ;-).
>
>  I was all secure in my choice of a Mac II system, when I discovered that the
>RasterOps ColorBoard 264 24-bit color card sells for $315 more than the Apple
>8-bit card.*  I could squeeze the extra $$ in without too much pain, and for
>the added color capability (especially in view of my long-term goal of......

Any responses to your query about the 24 bit RasterOps board?  I'm
thinking about going this route too!  Is there a performance hit?

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (12/09/89)

In article <9991@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

>Any responses to your query about the 24 bit RasterOps board?  I'm
>thinking about going this route too!  Is there a performance hit?

   I have a ColorBoard/264 and am QUITE pleased.  It is currently being
repaired because of some minor flakiness, the likes of which cannot usually
be avoided completely in any VLSI system so I'm not complaining.  It is a
well-designed, low-power, fast, inexpensive implementation of 24-bit
graphics and does as well as an Apple at lower pixel depths.
   If speed is really a concern, though, for a similar price you can get a
SuperMac ColorCard/24 which has an option for a $400 or so graphics
accelerator if you ever get the urge.

  -- Mark Wilkins
     wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu