[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Cutting Edge products; 800K drive in particular

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/07/89)

Hello,

  Sorry to post so many questions, but buying a new machine involves a lot of
decisions, and who better to ask?

  Has anybody had any experiences with Cutting Edge products?  Specifically,
I'm interested in their 800K external floppy drive, which Mac Warehouse carries
for $149.  This is a terrific price, and I'd like to buy one, assuming that
it works properly, etc.  It has a one-year warranty, too.  (Are you listening,
Apple?)

Thanks,

--Mike

chupa@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael A Chupa) (12/07/89)

In article <1169@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>  Has anybody had any experiences with Cutting Edge products?  Specifically,
>I'm interested in their 800K external floppy drive, which Mac Warehouse carries
>for $149.  This is a terrific price, and I'd like to buy one, assuming that
>it works properly, etc.  It has a one-year warranty, too.  (Are you listening,
>Apple?)

In our school Mac lab, we have several Cutting Edge drives; I have been
pleased with their quality except for one EXTREMELY bad design flaw.  It
seems that if a user shuts down the Cro-Magnon way (power switch off, ignore
Special menu) then the drive will not be able to read disks until a disk
is run through an init procedure.  There are several Cro-Magnons around
the lab, and I have learned to keep a supply of dead 400K disks around to
cycle the drives.  You get what you pay for!

arun@ac.dal.ca (12/10/89)

In article <5255@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, chupa@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Michael A Chupa) writes:
> In article <1169@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>>  Has anybody had any experiences with Cutting Edge products?  Specifically,
>>I'm interested in their 800K external floppy drive, which Mac Warehouse carries
>>for $149.  This is a terrific price, and I'd like to buy one, assuming that
>>it works properly, etc.  It has a one-year warranty, too.  (Are you listening,
>>Apple?)
>
> In our school Mac lab, we have several Cutting Edge drives; I have been
> pleased with their quality except for one EXTREMELY bad design flaw.  It
> seems that if a user shuts down the Cro-Magnon way (power switch off, ignore
> Special menu) then the drive will not be able to read disks until a disk
> is run through an init procedure.  There are several Cro-Magnons around
> the lab, and I have learned to keep a supply of dead 400K disks around to
> cycle the drives.  You get what you pay for!

I have not seen any such problem with my Mirror Technologies 800K drive. I
feel that it is a much better, smaller, quieter, more reliable, better
looking, and just as cheap unit...

                        >>>ARUN MATHUR<<<
                Dalhousie University Medical School
                  Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada...