[comp.sys.mac.hardware] ADB Extended Keyboard Problem

rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) (12/03/89)

I recently purchased an Apple Extended keyboard for my Mac II.
The keyboard seems to work well in general, however, when I
type certain characters rapidly garbage is consistently generated.
For example, when typing the three letters "omp" the following
characters are generated "om0-p;,"  This happens consistently and
across software products as well as with differing versions of
system software  (6.0.3 and 6.0.4).  I have tried this with all of my
inits off.  I never saw such behavior with my old Datadesk-101.  The
problem goes away when I switch back to my old keyboard.

I'd certainly appreciate any words of wisdom...

Thanks,

Rich Robbins

rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) (12/03/89)

I have some more information about my keyboard problem.  In general, if I
depress several keys at the same time, the last key depressed repeats.
Whenever I depress "o" and "m" and then strike "p" I can generate
the garbage that I see when I type words which contain the sequence.
In fact, it does not matter which two I depress, striking the third
causes the gibberish to be generated.

-- Rich

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon Watte) (12/05/89)

In article <6525@tank.uchicago.edu> rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) writes:
>depress several keys at the same time, the last key depressed repeats.

>In fact, it does not matter which two I depress, striking the third
>causes the gibberish to be generated.

You are aware of the fact that the mac cannot handle more than two
"ascii" keys depressed, and any number of "modifier" keys ? Perhaps
your old keyboard did something (like logically releasing a key)
when you pressed the third key, but the Apple keyboard doesn't ?

		The sun always shines in my mac

								h+
--
   --  Stay alert !  -  Trust noone !  -  Keep your laser handy !  ---
            h+@nada.kth.se  ==  h+@proxxi.se  ==  Jon Watte

carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Aviram Carmi) (12/06/89)

+
+I'd certainly appreciate any words of wisdom...
+
+Thanks,
+
+Rich Robbins

I have encountered exactly the same problem that you are describing.
The keyboard was purchased about a month ago to replace another extended
keyboard which I gave to my sister.  The old keyboard did not display
this problem, but the new one is prety consistent as you are describing.
It also generates the same garbage characters when typing "o,p".
(And "ou;" instead of "out", but that's less frequent.)
I have not tried any other key combinations, but since
the "," and the "M" keys are next to each other, I would assume
some problem with the contacts in the keyboard and not in the software
(inits, system, etc.); I am using a MacII 6.02 and lots of inits.

Has anybody else encountered this strange behavior???

Any solution???

Avi Carmi (carmi@mars.jpl.nasa.gov)

harlanp@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (P.C. Harlan) (12/06/89)

carmi@mars.UUCP (Aviram Carmi) writes:
| rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) writes:
| +I recently purchased an Apple Extended keyboard for my Mac II.
| +The keyboard seems to work well in general, however, when I
| +type certain characters rapidly garbage is consistently generated.
| +For example, when typing the three letters "omp" the following
| +characters are generated "om0-p;,"  This happens consistently and
   [...]
| I have encountered exactly the same problem that you are describing.
   [...]
| It also generates the same garbage characters when typing "o,p".
| (And "ou;" instead of "out", but that's less frequent.)
| I have not tried any other key combinations, but since
| the "," and the "M" keys are next to each other, I would assume
| some problem with the contacts in the keyboard and not in the software
| (inits, system, etc.); I am using a MacII 6.02 and lots of inits.

This is a problem I asked abou; [sic -- this happens a LOT] a month or
so ago, and someone emailed me that the keyboard contains a lot of
diodes to prevent signals from getting crossed.  If you want to save
money (and you don't care about quality), you leave out some diodes.

I have gotten the same "ou;" problem on every one of the 4 or so ADB
keyboards I have used, extended or not, and I am NOT hitting the ";"
key.

Whether diodes or internal bumping, it is irritating nonetheless and I
would return the keyboard if the warranty hadn't (quickly) run out :-(.

I am surprised that more people haven't noticed this problem, since as
far as my meager but random sampling goes, 100% of the keyboards have
this problem.

P.C. Harlan
Indiana University
harlanp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

scotth@tekcrl.LABS.TEK.COM (Scott R. Herzinger) (12/10/89)

In article <2338@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> carmi@mars.UUCP (Aviram Carmi) writes:
>In article <6521@tank.uchicago.edu> rer3@tank.uchicago.edu (richard elliot robbins) writes:
>+For example, when typing the three letters "omp" the following
>+characters are generated "om0-p;,"  This happens consistently and
>this problem, but the new one is prety consistent as you are describing.
>It also generates the same garbage characters when typing "o,p".
>Has anybody else encountered this strange behavior???

I bought my Apple Extended Keyboard around the first of November, and
immediately observed this problem.  It only occurs when typing
quickly, but I'm quick enough, I guess, and I've discovered more words
containing "omp" than I realized I used.

Since not only are the extra characters 0-;, generated, some command
or option keystroke is also generated, causing funnies in some applications,
for example, a font change in MS Word 4.0.

>Any solution???

It's faulty hardware.  It should be repaired or replaced under the
warranty.  I took my keyboard back to the computer dealer where I
bought my system.  It was still under warranty, failed consistently,
caused a well-known software package (MS Word, also used internally by
Apple) to hiccup, etc., so they cheerfully replaced my keyboard with
one that didn't exhibit the problem.  It was pretty painless, and I
suffered minimal down time since they didn't oblige me to leave the
keyboard overnight.  They checked with Apple tech support, who said
they weren't aware of the problem.  My keyboard is on its way back to
Apple, hopefully to be added to a few other data points.

Best of luck to the others with this problem.

Scott
--
Scott Herzinger   scotth%crl.labs.tek.com@relay.cs.net
                  Computer Research Lab, Tektronix, Inc.