[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Imagewriter Replacement

jb@aries5.uucp (James Bruyn) (12/06/89)

We at the University of Waterloo are looking for a replacement for our
Imagewriter II's.  We have an each of two labs, a volume of 1500 to 3000
pages per day.  Unfortunately the 10 ImageWriter II's in each lab do
not seem able to cope with the 150-300 pages per day volume that is
expected of them.

Replacing them with Apple LaserWriter's has been rejected on the cost of
the printers and supplies.  We essentially would be going through one
toner cartridge every day or every other day.

We are looking for alternatives.  Some ideas that we have considered include:

High speed matrix printer (compatible to ImageWriter II in printer commands)
hooked up to serial port of server.

Print spooler on a VAX/SUN connected to a high speed printer (possibly laser).
However if this is a laser printer, we still want students to be able to
access the printer, cope with paper jams, etc.

If worst comes to worst, we might consider writing a spooler for the printer,
or if the hardware vendor wants, develop an AppleTalk connection for the
printer.

HP, Digital, Toshiba, do you have anything that we could make work?

If you know of any possible hardware/software solutions, even if they are
very esoteric, please email me.  I will summarize.

If you are interested in us considering developing a solution please email me.

Jim Bruyn
Computer Systems Group
University of Waterloo
TEL: (519)-888-4683
FAX: (519)-746-5422

BITNET: jb@watcsg
UUCP:   jb@aries5

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (12/10/89)

In article <977@maytag.waterloo.edu> jb@aries5.UUCP (James Bruyn) writes:
>We at the University of Waterloo are looking for a replacement for our
>Imagewriter II's.  We have an each of two labs, a volume of 1500 to 3000
>pages per day.  Unfortunately the 10 ImageWriter II's in each lab do

In a very recent issue of MIPS magazine, NISSHO advertised a very industrial
laser printer that lists for about $22,000 and talks with appletalk as well
as RS232, 442 (?) and possibly centronics parallel.  Well, give them a ring
and they would love to send you info and samples.  Trust me.

The print engine is rated at 60,000 pages/month officially.  Speed is up
to 20 pages per minute.  We want one because it can do 11 by 17 sheets of
paper and speaks postscript fluently.  Also, it looks like it has a
collator assembly included which would be neato for publishing instruction
manuals for our products.  Right now, our schematics are adequately
published but they could be better.

Please email me with what your experiences with this nice machine.  We need
to justify our desperate want for this machine.
-----
Rob
	quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov
	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf