[comp.sys.mac.hardware] 24-bit Color Cards for IIx, including RasterOps summary

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/12/89)

Greetings,

  Well, I was all convinced that the RasterOps 264 was the card for me (I even
played with one at the Media Lab.  Very nice).  Many thanks to all of the
people who mailed/posted information.  Now, the question:

  I've heard rumblings that there's a SuperMac 24-bit board in the same price
range, but which has the option of adding an accelerator chip at a later date
to speed the thing up (the RasterOps was a bit slow in 24-bit mode).  Can any-
one point me to a dealer, or give me pricing?  The best price I've seen on the
RasterOps is $783 from the MacZone, and I'll order one in about two days if
I don't hear from anybody by then (got to have it for when the Mac shows up :-)

  For the sake of completeness, here's a summary of the RasterOps responses
I got:

  o  The RasterOps 264 is inexpensive, but well built and well-designed.
  o  In 8-bit mode, it's at least as fast as Apple's 8-bit card.
  o  It provides a 24 bit mode which, while slower than 8-bit, is still 24bit!
  o  There are no known incompatibilites (or nobody's talking).
  o  If you plan to do intensive 24-bit work, get a IIci, or a faster card,
     or an accelerator if there is one.  If you just want to have the
     capability of 24 bit for the occasional image or project, this card is
     quite good.

Additions?

Thanks in advance,

--Mike

Disclaimer: I think that disclaimers are an incredibly sad statement about our
society.  Nonetheless, nothing that I say can or should be construed as having
been said by anyone.  Ever.

jackd@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Jack Decker) (12/13/89)

In article <1193@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael
J Kobb) writes about the advantages of the RasterOps 264:

>  o  The RasterOps 264 is inexpensive, but well built and well-designed.
>  o  In 8-bit mode, it's at least as fast as Apple's 8-bit card.
>  o  It provides a 24 bit mode which, while slower than 8-bit, is still 24bit!
>  o  There are no known incompatibilites (or nobody's talking).
>  o  If you plan to do intensive 24-bit work, get a IIci, or a faster card,
>     or an accelerator if there is one.  If you just want to have the
>     capability of 24 bit for the occasional image or project, this card is
>     quite good.
>
>Additions?

Don't forget the ability to output to video in 256 shades of gray.

BTW, I get crashes running Word 4.0 with my RasterOps 264 when I turn the
monitor setting to black and white (to take screen shots).  Anyone else seen
this?

jack decker
Tektronix, Beaverton OR

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/13/89)

>  I've heard rumblings that there's a SuperMac 24-bit board in the same price
>range, but which has the option of adding an accelerator chip at a later date
>to speed the thing up (the RasterOps was a bit slow in 24-bit mode).  Can any-
>one point me to a dealer, or give me pricing?  The best price I've seen on the
>RasterOps is $783 from the MacZone, and I'll order one in about two days if

I've heard of this SuperMac card too, but I don't think it's in the
same price-range.  Can anyone out there provide details?

>  o  In 8-bit mode, it's at least as fast as Apple's 8-bit card.

Scrolling is a hair faster.  Refresh is 30% faster.

>  o  There are no known incompatibilites (or nobody's talking).

The incompatibilities are quite minor (unless you're running Falcon).

The Quickcolour from Supermac consumes a whopping 2 AMPS from the slot
in the IIcx.  Not the sort of thing I'd want in my machine.  I read
this in MacWorld someplace I think.

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/13/89)

In article <10041@zodiac.ADS.COM>, jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes...

>>  o  There are no known incompatibilites (or nobody's talking).
>
>The incompatibilities are quite minor (unless you're running Falcon).

Is there any reason to think that the 264 would be incompatible with an '030
boards for a Mac II?  I'm interested in getting the 264, but am also interested
in getting an '030 board for my II when system 7.0 comes out (I think it wise
to wait and see which '030 boards word well with 7).

BTW, has anyone heard about a special in which you can get the 264 and a color
monitor for about $1300?  I heard about it somewhere, but don't remember where.
Which monitor do you get in this deal?  Is it any good?

Any info much appreciated!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/13/89)

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) writes:

>  I've heard rumblings that there's a SuperMac 24-bit board in the same price
>range, but which has the option of adding an accelerator chip at a later date
>to speed the thing up (the RasterOps was a bit slow in 24-bit mode).  Can any-
>one point me to a dealer, or give me pricing?  The best price I've seen on the
>RasterOps is $783 from the MacZone, and I'll order one in about two days if
>I don't hear from anybody by then (got to have it for when the Mac shows up :-)

ClubMac - (714) 768-1490 - 7 Musick, Irvine, CA  92718 - $699

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

hammen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Robert J. Hammen) (12/14/89)

In article <10041@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@ads.com (John Nelson) writes:
>>  I've heard rumblings that there's a SuperMac 24-bit board in the same price
>I've heard of this SuperMac card too, but I don't think it's in the
>same price-range.  Can anyone out there provide details?

Yes, SuperMac does have their own 24-bit video card. I believe the introductory
price is $899, and, as someone alluded to in another message, you can add a
QuickDraw accelerator board to it for under $500.

>The Quickcolour from Supermac consumes a whopping 2 AMPS from the slot
>in the IIcx.  Not the sort of thing I'd want in my machine.  I read

I believe that it's Radius who makes the QuickColor boards, not SuperMac.
I'm not defending them, but I think Apple really made a bad move by giving the
IIcx such a wimpy power supply (a friend w/2 video boards in his cx has
problems with the machine spontaneously rebooting).

Robert Hammen | Technical Editor | Personal Publishing | hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/15/89)

In article <2379@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> hammen@jolnet.UUCP (Robert J. Hammen) writes:
>In article <10041@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@ads.com (John Nelson) writes:
>>>  I've heard rumblings that there's a SuperMac 24-bit board in the same price
>>I've heard of this SuperMac card too, but I don't think it's in the
>>same price-range.  Can anyone out there provide details?
>
>Yes, SuperMac does have their own 24-bit video card. I believe the introductory
>price is $899, and, as someone alluded to in another message, you can add a
>QuickDraw accelerator board to it for under $500.

Okay, so: Has anybody tried one?  Are they good?  Are they compatible?  How's
speed unaccelerated?  And,

WHERE CAN I GET ONE MAIL-ORDER FOR $750 OR LESS?

I need this info. ASAP, since my Mac II should be here in under a week, and I
don't much feel like running w/out video card... (No onboard video in those
IIx's  ;-)

Thanks,
--Mike