[comp.sys.mac.hardware] What's a good, cheap, 2400 baud modem

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (11/30/89)

The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?

Thanks,
Geoff

--
Geoff Allen                  \  WINCO doesn't believe in Macs,
{uunet|bigtex}!pmafire!geoff  \  so of course these are my views.

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (12/01/89)

In article <875@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?

You should check out the Supra modem, available from Programs Plus
for about $129 plus shipping.

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any financial or personal interest in this, but I
wrote the blurb in the upcoming BMUG Memo about it.

>Thanks,
>Geoff

--- Alex "Why do people feel obligated to have a five-line .sig?"

rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) (12/01/89)

In article <875@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes...
>The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?

Whatever you do, DON'T buy Promethius.

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (12/02/89)

In article <20125@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Alex Lau) writes:

>You should check out the Supra modem, available from Programs Plus
>for about $129 plus shipping.

Sounds good.  Is it 100% Hayes-compatible?  Does it work with the
America Online software?  (I may be looking to replace our old
barely-compatible-enough-to-beep Avatex 1200, which dies the ignoble
death with AOL).

I'm sure that for that price it doesn't support MNP.  Anybody got
any ideas on what's the cheapest price I could expect to pay for a
2400 baud MNP-5 100% Hayes-compatible modem?

--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.

user7@amdcad.AMD.COM (Unix class) (12/02/89)

Can you use any modem for the mac that has an rs-232 interface?  You just
need to get the correct cable right?  Do they sell SE's DB-9 to a RS-232
connector to use with those cheap PC external modems?
	What's this MNP thing with the modems?  It's something to do with
error correction I hear.  Can a non MNP modem communicate with a modem
that has a MNP feature(e.g. for a Bulletin Board)?  thanks
		-chung

sigurd@sun.acs.udel.edu (Sigurd Andersen) (12/02/89)

In article <2563@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM
 (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <20125@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>
 c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Alex Lau) writes:

>>You should check out the Supra modem, available from Programs Plus
>>for about $129 plus shipping.
>
>I'm sure that for that price it doesn't support MNP.  Anybody got
>any ideas on what's the cheapest price I could expect to pay for a
>2400 baud MNP-5 100% Hayes-compatible modem?
>--
>Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

PC Connection (800) 243-8088 advertises Practical Peripherals'
2400SA MNP modem, 5 year warranty, for $209.  A review I read
recently, as I recall, rated it highly except for a flimsy
plastic case.

Sigurd Andersen   sigurd@sun.acs.udel.edu   Bitnet: ACS20833@UDACSVM

--
Sigurd Andersen             sigurd@pyr1.acs.udel.edu
Academic Computing Support   sigurd@sun.acs.udel.edu

c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU (Alex Lau) (12/02/89)

In article <2563@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> ralph@lzfme.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) writes:
>In article <20125@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c8s-an@franny.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Alex Lau) writes:
>>You should check out the Supra modem, available from Programs Plus
>>for about $129 plus shipping.

>Sounds good.  Is it 100% Hayes-compatible?  Does it work with the
>America Online software?  (I may be looking to replace our old
>barely-compatible-enough-to-beep Avatex 1200, which dies the ignoble
>death with AOL).

It is fully compatible with the Hayes extended AT
command set. Beats the heck out of an Avatex. (I know,
I happen to be using an Avatex right now until I can
save some $$$ to buy memory and a "real" modem.)

>I'm sure that for that price it doesn't support MNP.  Anybody got
>any ideas on what's the cheapest price I could expect to pay for a
>2400 baud MNP-5 100% Hayes-compatible modem?

Supra has promised to come out with an MNP-compatible
modem sometime this month (December). We shall see how
good that one is.

>Ralph Brandi     ralph@lzfme.att.com     att!lzfme!ralph

--- Alex

ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) (12/02/89)

Just a thought for those considering 2400 baud modems.  I bought
a Hayes micromodem ][ when accoustic couplers (apple-cats) were
the in thing on the Apple ][.  I then replaced it with a hayes
1200.  I kept it until I bought a Mac in '86, when I bought a
Practical Peripherals 2400.

Now the PP is sitting on top of a new box that I just got on eval.
It is from Telebit and it is called a T1000.  It is a PEP modem
that does up to 9600 baud (error corrected) over regular phone lines.
It is also a 2400/1200/300 modem when you need to connect to slower
stuff.  Among its many nice features is a special file transfer
protocol support--speeding up Kermit, X/Ymodem or uucp tremendously.
It also does level 4 MNP at 2400 baud.  The best news of all is the
cost:  $599.00.

So before you buy that 2400, give this some consideration.  Of course,
in another year it will be the T10,000 etherbaud modem only to be
outdone by the hyperspace-modulator in '91...

Perhaps someone else could talk about US Robotics 9600baud + product line?
--ams

p.s.  Telebit is located at:
	1345 Shorebird Way
	Mountain View, CA   94043-1329

  Andrew Simms					ams@acm.princeton.edu
  System Administrator
  Program in Applied and Computational Math
  Princeton University
  Princeton, NJ   08544
  609/258-5324 or 609/258-6227
  609/258-1054 (fax)

arun@ac.dal.ca (12/03/89)

I found the Cardinal 2400 Baud External Modem to be anexcellent modem and one
of the cheapest that I could find...

            >>>ARUN MATHUR<<<
  Dalhousie University Medical School
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada...

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (12/04/89)

In article <11866@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) writes:
> [some history deleted]
>
>It is from Telebit and it is called a T1000.  It is a PEP modem
>that does up to 9600 baud (error corrected) over regular phone lines.
>It is also a 2400/1200/300 modem when you need to connect to slower
>stuff.  Among its many nice features is a special file transfer
>protocol support--speeding up Kermit, X/Ymodem or uucp tremendously.

I own 2 T2000's bought before there was a T1000, and I'm glad I had 'em,
but I wouldn't recommend them now, certainly not for a Mac.  Like the 1000,
they only work at 9600 with another telebit, 'cause they use a non-
standard protocol.  The protocol is half-duplex, so it's pretty terrible
for interactive stuff.  Uucp and kermit blaze right along, though.

These days, you ought to be looking at V.32 modems, since that way you
can talk to lots more machines.  These will be getting pretty common
as prices come down.  I knew this was going to be true when I got the
Trailblazers, but I also knew these would pay for themselves in the
year or so it was going to take for it to become true.  (I do a lot
of uucp work, and the 'blazers had become the modem of choice among
systems doing uucp).

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/06/89)

In article <7224@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes:
>In article <875@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes...
>>The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>>for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?
>
>Whatever you do, DON'T buy Promethius.

You know, it might be nice to justify statements like "DON'T buy
Promethius" with some valid reasons why not for a few reasons:

1. People on the net would like to know if there are serious
   considerations.
2. You're unfairly labeling Promethius as a bad company without
   justifying that criticism.
3. Your post is wasting bandwith unless it has some valid (and justified)
   commentary on the subject matter.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock '90            | DISCLAIMER: I'm graduating and looking for
Consultant                 |             a job, so I'll stand by my words.

rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) (12/06/89)

In article <17724@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) writes...
>In article <7224@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes:
>>In article <875@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes...
>>>The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>>>for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?
>>
>>Whatever you do, DON'T buy Promethius.
>
>You know, it might be nice to justify statements like "DON'T buy
>Promethius" with some valid reasons

How's this:

Ours rarely work at 2400 baud; they usually run at 1200 and when we
asked them why, they said it was because the phone lines must
be noisy in our area and that would kick them down to 1200 (funny,
our Hayes and other 2400s don't seem to have this problem). We have
approximately 15 Promethius and they all have this problem.  People
in our department who have them at home have the same problem.  For
no apparent reason, these modems spontaneously disconnect and you
usually can't reconnect unless they are power cycled. If Promethius
or anyone has a solution (besides getting rid of them and getting
modems that work like they're supposed to), send me email,
rjudy@cs.umass.edu, we'd be more than glad to hear it.

871323o@aucs.uucp (Oliver Oey) (12/07/89)

In article <3516@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ong_ac@jhunix.UUCP (Albert C Ong) writes:
>In article <7224@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes:
>>In article <875@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes...
>>>The subject really says it all.  Does anyone have any recommendations
>>>for good, inexpensive 2400 baud modems?
>>
>>Whatever you do, DON'T buy Promethius.
>
>	I was considering their ProModem SE for my SE/30, until this post
>came along.  What's your beef against Promethius?  Any positive comments?

I have been using a Prometheus ProModem 2400 (external) with my SE for
five months.  Haven't had any problem with it.  Would the person who
made the comment about Prometheus please give some supporting reasons, or
at least state some previous problems.

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (12/08/89)

The Saga of the ZOOM Telephonics 2400 baud modem

A few months ago, I ordered a ZOOM 2400 baud modem.  It was a nice little
black semitransparent box with LED's behind the front and a volume control
on the back.  It has worked just fine, done everything I wanted it to do,
and I have been quite happy with it.  Partially on the basis of my good
experience, the institute bought several of these modems.  When they arrived,
however, they were clearly different from the one I had bought.  For one thing,
the volume control was missing, and the hole in the case instead gave access
to a line impedance trimpot.  A virtual volume control was provided in
software, so that was not a big deal.  Much more serious was the fact that
the modems did not seem to be able to send a long break.  This is important
to us, as we have several DEC terminal servers listening to modems on phone
lines to provide dial-up capability, and break is the default way of escaping
to the terminal server prompt.

We called up ZOOM, and there are indeed two different modems.  The one that I
had ordered contained a TI chip set, and the later version that the institute
ordered contained a Rockwell chip set.  Sure enough, if you open the case
you can see the logos on the chips.

ZOOM has exchanged four of our Rockwell modems for TI modems, and they will
exchange the two others when sent to them.  They have also claimed that if
we order new modems and specify the TI chip set, that's what we will get.
We were not able to get any promises that TI chip set modems would be
available in perpetuity.

So, the moral of the story is, IF you buy ZOOM modems and IF break is
important to you, make sure you get the right ones.  Better yet, call them
and explain why long break is an important feature that they should support
in all their modems.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

ralph@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (12/09/89)

In article <1038@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:

>These days, you ought to be looking at V.32 modems, since that way you
>can talk to lots more machines.  These will be getting pretty common

Not that I can afford one yet....

I've heard about V.32, and the new MacUser has an interesting
comparison of all of the V.32 modems on the market, but I haven't
seen any mention of downward compatibility.  I understand there were
two or three `standards' for 9600 baud over the past few years,
including Telebit and US Robotics HST (?).  Considering that the
current installed base is weighted toward these standards, is it
worth a person's while to wait until V.32 gains a little more market
penetration, or can the modem talk to one or both of the previous
standards?
--

silb@tank.uchicago.edu (N.H. Silbert) (12/12/89)

In article <11866@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) writes:
>Now the PP is sitting on top of a new box that I just got on eval.
>It is from Telebit and it is called a T1000.  It is a PEP modem
>that does up to 9600 baud (error corrected) over regular phone lines.
>It is also a 2400/1200/300 modem when you need to connect to slower
>stuff.  Among its many nice features is a special file transfer
>protocol support--speeding up Kermit, X/Ymodem or uucp tremendously.
>It also does level 4 MNP at 2400 baud.  The best news of all is the
>cost:  $599.00.

I just spoke with the people at telebit this afternoon.  You might want to
be on your guard about the PEP 9600 bd protocal.  The modems great for communicating with other t1000s and all other telebit modems that use PEP.  But, only
telebit uses pep.  The standard 9600 bd protocal is v.32.  The vt2500 (i think)
is the telebit modem that uses standard v.32 protocal and costs nearly twice
as much.

--
	Byebye
Neal Harrison

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/15/89)

In article <7385@dime.cs.umass.edu> rjudy@cs.umass.edu (WHEELS GO ROUND) writes:
>Ours rarely work at 2400 baud; they usually run at 1200 and when we
>asked them why, they said it was because the phone lines must
>be noisy in our area and that would kick them down to 1200 (funny,
>our Hayes and other 2400s don't seem to have this problem). We have
>approximately 15 Promethius and they all have this problem. People
>in our department who have them at home have the same problem.  For
>no apparent reason, these modems spontaneously disconnect and you
>usually can't reconnect unless they are power cycled.

I have been using a Prometheus 2400G for, let's see, about two years
now, and I have had no problems of any sort, far less the problems you
describe.  The fact that all your modems have this problem leads me to
believe that it must in fact be something in your local environment
that is causing the problem.  Perhaps you are all using software that
doesn't interact correctly with the Prometheus in setting the baud
rates to be used.  Have you tried a variety of terminal programs?  Have
you tried taking one with you on a business trip to another part of the
country and seeing if you have the same problem?

It's possible you got a bad batch of modems, in which case I believe
there is a warranty.  But the fact that all your modems exhibit
behavior which I have not seen and which I've never heard of from other
Prometheus users really does lead me to believe there is some local
environmental factor behind this mess.

These are not my opinions, those of my ex-employers, my old schools, my
relatives, my friends, or really any rational person whatsoever.