[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 105S HD

afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) (11/26/89)

Has anyone had any success/failures/experience in putting a Quantum
105S HD inside an SE, while keeping both floppies intact?  I have seen
an 80MB disk installed in this manner [tucked into the top-right-back
of the computer, platter spinning on L-R axis], and it seemed to work
fine.

Any pointers would be welcomed.  If there is any interest, I'll
summarize to the net.

Thanks,
--
tony foiani  (afoiani@nmsu.edu)         "And remember...don't lose your
a.k.a. Tkil  (mcsajf@nmsuvm1.bitnet)     head..." -Ramirez, HIGHLANDER

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (11/29/89)

In article <AFOIANI.89Nov26083949@dante.nmsu.EDU>, afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) writes:
> Has anyone had any success/failures/experience in putting a Quantum
> 105S HD inside an SE, while keeping both floppies intact?  I have seen

The Unimac mounting kit provides a universal mounting bracket which can be used
in the traditional "stacked disc" method, or can be mounted on top of the upper
floppy with the hard disk shifted to the rear to allow clearance of the CRT.
The Unimac kit includes driver and utility software, SCSI ribbon cable, power
cable, and responsive telephone support if needed.

I beleive Unimac is located in So. Cal., but not sure where.  This mounting kit
can also be had from Hard Disks International in Tempe, AZ (if you dare deal
with that bunch!).

Hope this helps.  Regards,

--
	Marvin Jones 		 uunet:    {pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 bell-net: 707-795-9444 X 206

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (11/30/89)

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) writes:

>In article <AFOIANI.89Nov26083949@dante.nmsu.EDU>, afoiani@nmsu.EDU (Anthony Foiani) writes:
>> Has anyone had any success/failures/experience in putting a Quantum
>> 105S HD inside an SE, while keeping both floppies intact?  I have seen

>The Unimac mounting kit provides a universal mounting bracket which can be used
>in the traditional "stacked disc" method, or can be mounted on top of the upper
>floppy with the hard disk shifted to the rear to allow clearance of the CRT.
>The Unimac kit includes driver and utility software, SCSI ribbon cable, power
>cable, and responsive telephone support if needed.

There is a problem with the Unimac sliding red aluminum brackets which
may or may not effect your enjoyment. On other brackets I've seen, the
drive is shifted slightly to the outside of the computer case, placing
the actual mechanism farther away from the CRT. The UniMac bracket
actually shifts the drive inboard some, making it sit right next to the
CRT.  In this case, "right next" equals about 1/8", best case. The
problem with this is that one of the motors in the Quantums is near
that corner of the drive which is closest to the CRT. It can cause a
very noticeable interferrence pattern on the screen during disk access.
I have never noticed this interferrence on the outboard-shifted
brackets (from MicroNet, in this case).

Another gripe about the UniMac bracket is the overall sturdiness of the
design. I would call the design "inexpensive to manufacture and just
marginally adequate to use". The drives I have received from MacLand
in Quantum boxes with UniMac software and (I assume) UniMac brackets
have the "shoe" already tightly screwed to the drive. This is fine
except that the jumpers to set drive ID are under that shoe and come
preset to ID=6. For consistency sake, all internal drives under my
control are set to ID=0 and I need to remind myself to disassemble the
bracket and change the jumpers. I've forgoten this more than once!

One man's opinions.

truesdel@ics.uci.edu
CLAIMER: I speak for everybody!

--
Scott Truesdell

dvb@inmet.inmet.com (12/05/89)

> /* Written 11:16 pm  Nov 29, 1989 by truesdel@ics.uci.edu in inmet:comp.s
> jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) writes:

re : Quantum 105S in an SE

> that corner of the drive which is closest to the CRT. It can cause a
> very noticeable interferrence pattern on the screen during disk access.

Almost positive I used the Unimac kit for an SE and was told (MacZone
support) to turn the drive around--(maximum extention on the ribbon
cable) and the interference will be gone.  I was "suggested" this
earlier and when I did in fact have screen jumps I had to redo it (not
actually that tough) and all works perfectly now.

dvb@inmet.inmet.com
-- No connection to MacZone, but they did well by me...

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (12/07/89)

dvb@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>Almost positive I used the Unimac kit for an SE and was told (MacZone
>support) to turn the drive around--(maximum extention on the ribbon
>cable) and the interference will be gone.  I was "suggested" this
>earlier and when I did in fact have screen jumps I had to redo it (not
>actually that tough) and all works perfectly now.

Sorry, I didn't quite understand you. Do you mean that it DOES
work better if you put the drive in "backwards"? Does the ribbon
cable go over the top of the drive to the connector, which would
then be close to the CRT as opposed to close to the back of the
case?

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

dvb@inmet.inmet.com (12/15/89)

> by truesdel@ics.uci.edu in inmet:comp.sys.mac.hardware */

> Sorry, I didn't quite understand you. Do you mean that it DOES
> work better if you put the drive in "backwards"? Does the ribbon
> cable go over the top of the drive to the connector, which would
> then be close to the CRT as opposed to close to the back of the
> case?

> Scott Truesdell

Sorry about the delay--that is exactly it.  It seems like a tough
stretch at first--I didn't think it would make it and then it all
fell into place and has worked flawlessly since.

dvb@inmet.inmet.com