[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SCSI question

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (12/13/89)

Greetings,

  Ready for a stupid question?  I just received my new LaCie hard disk, and
I plugged it into my Mac Plus.  Since the LaCie has the small SCSI connectors,
I put it first in the chain, and chained my GCC HyperDrive FX/20 off of it.
The HyperDrive's SCSI address is 6; the LaCie's is 1, so the Mac booted from
the HyperDrive.  Then, I wanted to test the system on the LaCie, so I shut down
and turned off the HyperDrive.  With the HyperDrive off, the system wouldn't
boot.  I can only surmise that this is the result of improper termination.
The LaCie has internal, and (I suppose) automatic termination.  The FX/20
requires one of the blocks.  The question:  does the block go in the unused
SCSI connection on the last device in the chain, or between the cable and
the drive?  The manual for the FX/20 had conflicting info, and the LaCie
didn't come with an installation manual at all!

Thanks,

--Mike

russ@key.COM (Russell Donnan) (12/14/89)

In article <1204@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>and turned off the HyperDrive.  With the HyperDrive off, the system wouldn't
>boot.  I can only surmise that this is the result of improper termination.

What you need to do is boot up with both drives, go into the startup
device cdev, and select the OTHER drive.  This is really selecting the
SCSI id of the boot device.  Macs boot off SCSI id 0 by default, but
can easily be changed by this cdev.  BTW, my manual shows that BOTH
drives need to be terminated.  You need to terminate the beginning
and the end of the SCSI chain.  Hope this helps!

-Russ
--
Russ Donnan  (415) 623-2121
Amdahl Corporation, Key Computer Laboratories, Fremont, CA, USA

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (12/14/89)

In article <1204@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDUmjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:

> Ready for a stupid question?

There are very few stupid questions.  Yours isn't one.  Getting multi-
vendor SCSI-bus configurations to work is a bit of a black art sometimes.

>                               I just received my new LaCie hard disk,
> and I plugged it into my Mac Plus.  Since the LaCie has the small SCSI
> connectors, I put it first in the chain, and chained my GCC HyperDrive
> FX/20 off of it.  The HyperDrive's SCSI address is 6; the LaCie's is 1,
> so the Mac booted from the HyperDrive.  Then, I wanted to test the
> system on the LaCie, so I shut down and turned off the HyperDrive.
> With the HyperDrive off, the system wouldn't boot.  I can only surmise
> that this is the result of improper termination.

Yup.

>                                                        The LaCie has
> internal, and (I suppose) automatic termination.

"Internal" I'll believe.  I'm not sure I believe "automatic" (a terminator
which senses whether it's needed, and connects or disconnects itself on
that basis).  I could be wrong, of course ;-).

>                                                     The FX/20 requires
> one of the blocks.  The question:  does the block go in the unused SCSI
> connection on the last device in the chain, or between the cable and
> the drive?

Most manuals seem to say that it should be placed between the cable and
the last device on the chain.  In practice, it works equally well when
plugged into the unused SCSI port on the last device.  In at least one
case (my "stripped Bering" box containing a Teac tape-drive), it works
*better* when plugged into the spare port... the terminator's female
connectors (into which the cable would plug) don't seem to make good
contact with the cable.

>              The manual for the FX/20 had conflicting info, and the
> LaCie didn't come with an installation manual at all!

Sigh.

Here's the situation you're facing:

1) All terminators require electrical power to function properly.
   If you have an unpowered terminator on your bus, you probably won't
   be able to access any device on the bus.

2) All external (plug-in block) terminators receive their power from
   the SCSI bus.  At least one device on the bus must provide this power...
   +5 volts to pin 25 on the 50-pin connector, I believe.

3) Internal terminators are normally designed to accept power from the
   device to which they are connected.  Some of them (in better-
   designed devices such as the Teac tape mechanism) can also accept
   power from the SCSI bus, if the device to which they are attached
   is powered down.

4) The Mac Plus does not provide terminator power, due to power-supply
   limitations.  The II, SE, and all machines in those families do provide
   terminator power.  I'm not sure about the portable.

5) Your FX/20 does provide terminator power.  Your LaCie apparently does
   not.

So... if your FX/20 is powered on, its external terminator-block receives
power, and everything works find.  If you power the FX/20 off, its
external terminator doesn't get any power, its external terminator
jams the SCSI bus, and you can't access the LaCie.

Possible solutions:

1) Leave the FX/20 powered on whenever you use your Mac.  To boot from
   the LaCie rather than the FX/20, use the "Startup Device" cdev in the
   Control Panel, and select the LaCie.  This will override the usual
   SCSI-bus search preference (0-6-5-4-3-2-1).  If the LaCie is powered
   off, or doesn't have a bootable System on it, then the Mac will
   revert to the standard device-search and will boot from the FX/20
   (usually).  If you want to switch back to the "boot from the FX/20"
   mode, use the Startup Device cdev again.

2) Modify the LaCie chassis to provide terminator power... it's usually
   done by wiring the +5 power supply to the appropriate pin on the
   SCSI connector through a blocking diode and a 1-amp fuse.  This will
   void your warranty, most likely.

3) Build yourself a dummy SCSI-bus device whose sole purpose is to
   provide terminator power.  Hook it up at the end of the chain, after
   the FX-20.  Plug the external terminator block into this device
   rather than into the FX-20.

4) Trade in your Plus for a more recent Mac which does provide terminator
   power.

I suggest approach (1) as being the simplest and most hassle-free.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

hammen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Robert J. Hammen) (12/14/89)

Just one correction (that I could find!) to Dave's otherwise excellent post
regarding the fine art of Macintosh SCSI: the "Startup Device" cdev does NOT
work on the Plus - it stores its info into PRAM available only on the SE, II,
and later models. The Plus will boot from the highest numbered SCSI device.

Robert Hammen | Technical Editor | Personal Publishing | hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com

hammen@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Robert J. Hammen) (12/14/89)

Once again: Startup Device does NOT work on the Plus. I also believe that
the comment regarding how the Mac boots ("Macs boot from SCSI id 0 by default")
is incorrect. My experiences with the Mac would indicate the following:

Mac Plus: boot from highest numbered SCSI device (6 -> 0)
SE, II, Portable: boot from disk set in "Startup Device" cdev and stored in
PRAM. Otherwise, boot from SCSI ID 0 (special cased, since this is the ID that
the standard Apple internal drives are set. One nice feature is that the Mac
will "wait" for a disk at ID=0 to spin up before it boots (the Rodime 140
internal in my II isn't ready before the Mac is, so it's nice that the Mac
waits for it :-)

Robert Hammen | Technical Editor | Personal Publishing | hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com

ephraim@kulla (Ephraim Vishniac) (12/16/89)

In article <2390@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> hammen@jolnet.UUCP (Robert J. Hammen) writes:

>SE, II, Portable: boot from disk set in "Startup Device" cdev and stored in
>PRAM. Otherwise, boot from SCSI ID 0.

Here's something I've wondered about: A disk (SCSI device, in this
case) isn't the same thing as a volume.  You don't boot from a disk,
but from a volume on the disk.  But drive numbers for volumes are
assigned dynamically at boot time.  So what does "Startup Device"
actually record?  A SCSI ID?  A drive number?  If the former, which
volume does it use, given a choice?  If the latter, isn't that bogus?

>Robert Hammen | Technical Editor | Personal Publishing | hammen@ddsw1.mcs.com

Ephraim Vishniac    ephraim@think.com   ThinkingCorp@applelink.apple.com
 Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142
        One of the flaws in the anarchic bopper society was
        the ease with which such crazed rumors could spread.

hammersslammers1@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (12/17/89)

Ephraim Vishniac was wondering whether what the startup device CDEV recorded
and whether it was a drive number or a SCSI number. Let me relate my
experiences, which may shed some light on the subject (and then again, they
may not:-)). I have an 80 Mbyte Quantum internal and a 152 Mbyte Miniscribe
external that have had various (hard) partitioning schemes. At one time, I
think I had three partitions on the 80 Mbyte and 4 on the 152. Since these
were hard partitions, they would auto-mount and were, for all practical
purposes, independent SCSI volumes. HOWEVER, if I put a system file on more
than one of the partitions of a single drive, the Mac would ONLY boot from
the first partition on the drive with a system. By "first", I mean the
partition created first with the partitioning software that had a system.
Also, whenever I would access the Startup Device CDEV, whichever drive had
last been specified as the boot drive would have ALL of its partitions
highlighted. This leads me to believe that the Startup Device works on SCSI
number. Of course, I could be wrong.

David	 --- I would have a fancy .sig down here in this space, but I used
	 --- all my really rip-roaring, braindead ideas above in the post.