[comp.sys.mac.hardware] removable media drives -- MicroTech OK?

haleden@ganglion.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (Hal Eden) (12/06/89)

Re: MicroTech R45 removable media drives

has anyone had experience with these drives (they are our
low bidder)?

also,
JAYMS@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU sez:
>Could someone please send me the summary review of
>40 meg removable cartridge hard drives that was recently
>posted? Thanks!

me too!

rodneys@Apple.COM (Rodney Somerstein) (12/07/89)

I have two MicroTech R45 drives that I have been very happy with for the
last couple of months.  These drives are pretty much the same, no matter
who the "manufacturer" is.  The mechanisms are all made by Syquest.  I
have not had any problems with mine so far and the software that
MicroTech includes works well.

Rodney Somerstein
rodneys@apple.com

sheinfel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Aviad Sheinfeld) (12/12/89)

In article <HALEDEN.GNUS1@ganglion.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> haleden@ganglion.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (Hal Eden) writes:
>Re: MicroTech R45 removable media drives
>
>has anyone had experience with these drives (they are our
>low bidder)?

I have a MicroTech R45 and am very pleased with its performance, other than
a "minor" conflict as to who is the start-up drive between it and my internal
hard disk.  It's not as fast as some of the faster hard drives, but it's
competitive and provides unlimited storage with cheap cartridges (~$79).

Jason Haines

Internet: sheinfel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
This is me and only me expressing opinions - not U of Penn!!!
I won't waste your time with an obnoxious signature...

blenko-tom@CS.YALE.EDU (Tom Blenko) (12/13/89)

In article <17967@netnews.upenn.edu> sheinfel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Aviad Sheinfeld) writes:
|In article <HALEDEN.GNUS1@ganglion.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET> haleden@ganglion.stars.flab.Fujitsu.JUNET (Hal Eden) writes:
|>Re: MicroTech R45 removable media drives
|>
|I have a MicroTech R45 and am very pleased with its performance, other than
|a "minor" conflict as to who is the start-up drive between it and my internal
|hard disk.

I have a MicroTech R45 which is about a month old and has had
persistent reliability problems.  Bad blocks show up at different times
-- sometimes they spontaneously disappear, sometimes I've had to
reformat the disk.  This has occurred with two removable disks.
MicroTech says the first disk checks out OK for them. They now have the
drive (which I think is where the problem is).  The upshot is that the
drive simply isn't reliable yet (and I've spent many, many hours doing
backups).

Fortunately, they're only a 15-minute drive from where I live.

	Tom

david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) (12/14/89)

From article <8260@cs.yale.edu>, by blenko-tom@CS.YALE.EDU (Tom Blenko):

> I have a MicroTech R45 which is about a month old and has had
> persistent reliability problems.  Bad blocks show up at different times
> -- sometimes they spontaneously disappear, sometimes I've had to
> reformat the disk.  This has occurred with two removable disks.
> MicroTech says the first disk checks out OK for them. They now have the
> drive (which I think is where the problem is).  The upshot is that the
> drive simply isn't reliable yet (and I've spent many, many hours doing
> backups).

  I have an  Ehman Engineering  removable.  It has been in service since
  August '89 with no problems.  I purchased 2 additional cartridges, have
  had no problems with it being the boot drive or bad blocks.  I'm happy
  with its performance.  Their Tech. line is accessible in the a.m. (best)
  and its free.  They couldn't have been nicer.

> Fortunately, they're only a 15-minute drive from where I live.

  Most of us don't UNfortunately.  Ehman has a replacement plan for
  defective drives.  I think they ship you one immediately and you
  return yours after it arrives.

=-=-= Email: david@jc3b21.UUCP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Dave =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= EOT

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (12/18/89)

In article <815@jc3b21.UUCP> david@jc3b21.UUCP (David Quarles) writes:
>> I have a MicroTech R45 which is about a month old....
>> Fortunately, they're only a 15-minute drive from where I live.
>
>  Most of us don't UNfortunately.  Ehman has a replacement plan for
>  defective drives.  I think they ship you one immediately and you
>  return yours after it arrives.

Yeah, who lives in Wyoming?!!!  Must be that low overhead which allows them to
market their stuff so cheap.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet