[comp.sys.mac.hardware] SE/30 high pitch whine

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (12/16/89)

-I just purchase an SE/30 with 40MB hard drive and I love it.  It's sleek
-and fast...
-
-Anyway, everything was working fine until I started it up under
-MultiFinder.  Suddenly, I could hear a very high-pitched, barely audible
-whine coming from the Mac.  Upon doing some testing, the whine stops
-when I hold down the Mouse button (such as a selection box in Finder) or
-bring up any dialog box or DA (ie Chooser).
-
-This noise does not occur when MultiFinder is not running (ie just using
-Finder).
-
-I am using a fairly standard system (nothing to wierd software wise).
-Also, I installed an extra 1 Megabyte RAM using 4 256K SIMMS giving me 2
-Meg total.
-
-Why is it doing this?!?!?!?
-
-Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
-
-Thanks,
-ross
-
-rc3h@andrew.cmu.edu

I experenced the same problem you have.  I just got a new SE/30 and I
installed 4 one-meg simms.  I then noticed a high-pitched wine when the
computer wasn't doing anything, and especially when a screensaver is on,
multifinder or not, one meg or five.  It gets higher and louder when I
hold the mouse button in on the desktop and makes a thumping noise when
I drag something.  The sound goes away when the computer is doing
something.  The noise seems to be louder with 5 megs than with 1.

I took the machine to the computer store, and Apple Tech Support said
that it was problably the 40 meg harddrive and that it was normal for it
to make some noise.  But when I listen to other SE/30's with the 40 meg
harddrive, I don't hear the noise.

Does anyone know what could be causing this irritating noise??

Len Schultz

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (12/17/89)

In article <wZWMeYS00UhB81p1Zq@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:

.I experenced the same problem you have.  I just got a new SE/30 and I
.installed 4 one-meg simms.  I then noticed a high-pitched wine when the
.computer wasn't doing anything, and especially when a screensaver is on,
.multifinder or not, one meg or five.  It gets higher and louder when I
.hold the mouse button in on the desktop and makes a thumping noise when
.I drag something.                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe your desktop is lumpy.  Try some fine sandpaper.

(sorry.  Merry Xmas)

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (12/19/89)

In article <wZWMeYS00UhB81p1Zq@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
>I experenced the same problem you have.  I just got a new SE/30 and I
>installed 4 one-meg simms.  I then noticed a high-pitched wine when the
>computer wasn't doing anything, and especially when a screensaver is on,
>multifinder or not, one meg or five.  It gets higher and louder when I
>hold the mouse button in on the desktop and makes a thumping noise when
>I drag something.

I've seen workstations (not Mac) where the power supply generated strange
noises when I drag a window around.  It never made much sense to me, but
I was told "they all do that".

--Pete Poorman
  pwp@shamash.cdc.com

CJENKINSR@mail.cut.oz (Richard Jenkins) (12/19/89)

I've seen this before...

--

I experienced this on a customer's SE/30 2Mb HD40. Brand new, straight out of
the box and onto the bench for a 4Mb upgrade.

When I checked the machine after the upgrade, I noticed the noise you describe,
but this one was silent during I/O, disk access and when processing, and when
there was any input from the ADB Bus.
The technician was not impressed when I asked him to fix it, so I did it
myself. Sundry adjustments to the analogue board made no
difference, so I swapped the power supply for a known good one.
No difference, so I swapped the Analogue board, and lo and behold, a silent
Macintosh (comparatively).

What exactly caused the problem I do not know, but a new analogue board fixed
it, and that is the level any dealer would be expected to go to. Apple did not
knock back the warranty claim, so either we were lucky or they know about it..
Cheers
Richard Jenkins      Tel: (09) 351 7864                      AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Group     Fax: (09) 351 2673            ACSnet:cjenkinsr@mail.cut.oz
Curtin University    Perth, Western Australia    psi%050529452300030::cjenkinsr