[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Case-splitting tool?

jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) (12/18/89)

I recently purchased a Prometheus 2400SE internal modem for my Mac SE/30.

The installation instructions gave the usual "Don't install this yourself
because blah blah blah..."

Anyway, I didn't install it myself, primarily because my whopping 90-day
warranty has not yet expired, but also because the installation instructions
that came with the modem claim that there is a special tool used to split
the case apart; and a screwdriver should not be used as there is a good
opportunity to damage the case.

The local Apple dealer charged me $50 to install that sucker, and didn't
even do it right the first time, so I had to take it back (I am mighty
unhappy with these people right about now). I would like to avoid this
situation in the future by doing future work inside of the case
(when possible) myself.

What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
Is it really necessary, and if so, where could I get one (if indeed I can)?

Thanks in advance.

  --Jerry

--
Jerry Frain -- Professional Student           Kansas State University
Internet: jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu      Dept of Computing & Information Sciences

jdhill@bbn.com (Jack D. Hill) (12/19/89)

In article <1989Dec18.035636.7591@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
>Is it really necessary, and if so, where could I get one (if indeed I can)?

I've had to upgrade the memory in a lot of Macs here at BBN and I've never used
a "case splitting tool". A virgin Mac case that has never been opened is a
little tough though. I open them by putting the Mac on my lap, get my finger
tips and finger nails into the crack and pull apart.

Jack

truesdel@ics.uci.edu (Scott Truesdell) (12/19/89)

jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:

>What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
>Is it really necessary, and if so, where could I get one (if indeed I can)?

A case splitting tool is completely unnecessary. However, a long-shaft
torx head screwdriver (or hex that will fit the torx pattern) is
necessary for removing the four screws.

Here's how you open a Mac Plus/SE/SE/30:

 1. Remove the "programmers' switch".
 2. Remove the four case screws (5 if Mac Plus).
 3. Place the Mac screen-down on a soft couch, chair, bed, or other
    padded surface.
 4. Holding the large flat side surfaces, lift the Mac 6 inches off
    the padded surface.
 5. Move as if to set the Mac down again, but change directions sharply
    one inch away from the padded surface.
 6. The case should slip apart ever so easily.

Some cases pop apart more easily than others.

  --scott

--
Scott Truesdell

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (12/19/89)

(Jerry Frain) writes:
>I would like to avoid this
>situation in the future by doing future work inside of the case
>(when possible) myself.
>
>What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
>Is it really necessary, and if so, where could I get one (if indeed I can)?

It's not really necessary; any broad, thin metal plate of some strength
can be inserted into the groove in the case and used to pop it open.  I
seem to recall using a blunt kitchen knife for the purpose once long
ago.  However, Dove has a two-piece tool kit that has both the funny
screwdriver and an easy-to-use case cracker for $15.  It's overpriced,
but on an absolute scale, that's still not much to spend.

"I slept with Faith, and found a corpse in my arms on awaking; I drank and
 danced all night with Doubt, and found her a virgin in the morning."
    -- Aleister Crowley, THE BOOK OF LIES

rush@mnementh.metaphor.com (Ed Rush) (12/19/89)

In article <1989Dec18.035636.7591@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
>  --Jerry

The special tool is kinda pliers-like, but with two broad (5"?)
metal edges that force the two case halves apart.  It reminds
me of a hammerhead shark.  Anyhow, it looks convenient, but
I just use a good steel 12-inch ruler; put its edge into the
slot, press down, and push the middle while pulling the ends.
A screw driver is indeed a bad idea, because it puts too little
surface on the Mac's surface and thereby tends to cut or shred
the Mac instead of prying.
  Ed Rush, employed by but not speaking for
  Metaphor Computers, Mt. View, CA
                     "The reason angels can fly is that
                      they take themselves so lightly."

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (12/19/89)

Want a cheap "Case-splitting tool?"

go to your local hardware store and buy a small clamp.  The ones at
my hardware store have plastic orange handles and plastic orange tip covers.

Remove the tip covers.  Voila.  $2.79 at Somerville lumber in various
New England spots.  Your hardware store probably has it.  You still have to
be careful with the case, but it does the trick.

This clamp looks a little like the hand exercizers you see, but instead of
the coiled spring at the end, there's the clamp.

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

wiseman@tellab5.TELLABS.COM (Jeff Wiseman) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec18.035636.7591@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> jxf@phobos.cis.ksu.edu (Jerry Frain) writes:
>What can you tell me about this "special case-splitting tool?"
>Is it really necessary, and if so, where could I get one (if indeed I can)?
I understand that a good pair of sneakers and a thick carpet work pretty good.
Try laying the mac on its face and grabbing the edges with your feet.

Not elegant but cheap (my kinda technology :-)

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM