[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Ethernet Card Comparisons?

math1h3@elroy.uh.edu (12/16/89)

I need information on Ethernet Cards for a MacII.  Is there much of a
difference between the Kinetics/Excellan Etherport II and Apple's card?
Info about other Ethernet cards will be appreciated.

David Wagner

math1h3@elroy.uh.edu (12/21/89)

In article <5248.25891782@elroy.uh.edu>, math1h3@elroy.uh.edu writes:
> I need information on Ethernet Cards for a MacII.  Is there much of a
> difference between the Kinetics/Excellan Etherport II and Apple's card?
> Info about other Ethernet cards will be appreciated.

Here is the most useful information I have found.  Andrew Wood of Everex
referred me to a review of Ethernet boards for NuBus (specifically for Mac II
family) in the November 20, 1989 issue of PC Week.  It reviews boards sold by
Apple (also made and sold by 3Com), Asante (408-763-3360), Cayman Systems
(617-494-1999), Dove Computer Corp. (800-622-7627), Everex (415-498-1111),
Kinetics (aka Excelan aka Novell) (416-683-2222), and Racal-Interlan
(508-263-9929).  Everyone who responded to me was pleased with the card they
bought.  The review in PC Week was a little critical of the slowness of the
Dove board--Dove says the problem is in the software and is being fixed.

For more details see the review.

David Wagner
The opinions expressed herein are mine and not my employer's