[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Quantum 105 Summary

jdsb@occrsh.ATT.COM (John_Babcock) (12/22/89)

This is a summary of responses to my question:

>      I understand that the Quantum 105 Mb drives are a different
> mechanism than the P40S or P80S drives.  Is this true?  Have
> people had any problems with the 105 MB?  Please email. I'll
> summarize if asked.
> Thanks!

I did not receive many responses, but a lot of people asked me to post.
Generally, I hear good things about the drive, but I would still
like to know if the Quantum 105 uses a different mechanism than the
Quantum 40 or 80.  Also, I would appreciate it if someone could read
the last message I enclosed and explain it to me.  I only caught part
of the conversation, but they say you should mount the Quantum 105
upside down.  Why should you do this??  I would welcome any additional
replies!

Those requesting a summary:________________________________________________
Al Goldis goldis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu        BITNET:  goldists@uiamvs
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@cs.utah.edu
teng-kean siew arpa!zip.eecs.umich.edu!tksiew
Rick Zaccone <zaccone%sol.bucknell.edu@CORNELLC.cit.cornell.edu>

The few responses I got:___________________________________________________
From arpa!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!eacj Tue Dec 19 14:52:36 EST 1989
Subject: Re: Quantum 105 Mb drives

I have a Quantum 105 Pro drive (SuperMac's XP100i) running in a Mac IIci.
It is quick, quiet, and has caused no problems in the couple of months
that we have had it.

The drive does do an occasional traverse when not explicitly reading or
writing, but this is normal for many drives (probably done for maintaining
position calibration).  In any case, the spontaneous motion is nothing
like what people are reporting for the 40 and 80 meg Quantums with the
"PROMS from hell."

<<NOTE from JDSB: The seeking here is probably the timing seek.  I've  >>
<<     heard that the Quantums read a timing track every once in a     >>
<<     while to readjust for the drive as it warms up.                 >>

 - Julian
--
Julian Vrieslander
Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853
>From: cshotton@buster.irby.com (Chuck Shotton)

I have a LaCie 105 which uses a Quantum HDA. It's been up and running for about
4 months, close to non-stop, and I've had no problems whatsoever.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: Quantum 105 -- problems?
Date: 14 Dec 89 22:31:16 GMT

So far, all the bad news about Quantum HDs has dealt specifically with
the 40 and 80 meg drives.  Nobody has said anything about the 105 meg
drive.

In this week's *MacWeek*, MacZone and ACI are advertising 105 meg
Quantum internals, manufacturer's 2 year warranty, for $695.  This is
$200 less than LaCie's price for the *80 meg* internal and $300 dollars
less than its price for the 105.

My question is, do the reliability problems associated with the 40 and
80 meg drives have any bearing on the 105 meg drive?  I'm looking at a
new SE/30, and that $695 is almost too good to pass up.

-mike
From uokmax!apple!usc!samsung!uunet!inmet!dvb Tue Dec 19 09:41:28 CST 1989
Article 869 of comp.sys.mac.hardware:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware
Subject: Re: Quantum 105S HD
Date: 15 Dec 89 15:46:00 GMT
Nf-ID: #R:<AFOIANI:89:inmet:69900002:000:556
Nf-From: inmet.inmet.com!dvb    Dec 15 10:46:00 1989

> by truesdel@ics.uci.edu in inmet:comp.sys.mac.hardware */

> Sorry, I didn't quite understand you. Do you mean that it DOES
> work better if you put the drive in "backwards"? Does the ribbon
> cable go over the top of the drive to the connector, which would
> then be close to the CRT as opposed to close to the back of the
> case?

> Scott Truesdell

Sorry about the delay--that is exactly it.  It seems like a tough
stretch at first--I didn't think it would make it and then it all
fell into place and has worked flawlessly since.

dvb@inmet.inmet.com
* John Babcock           att!occrsh!jdsb
* AT&T Network Systems   jdsb@occrsh.att.com
* Oklahoma City, OK      Disclaimer:  I speak on my own, not as AT&T.