[comp.sys.mac.hardware] dead power sweep board

CRABTREE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/29/89)

Hi.  My Mac Plus has a fried transistor on the power board.  Everything else
on the board checks out except one transistor next to the large heat sink
toward the top of the board.  Do any of you technical types have the specs
for the transistors, etc on the board?  If I could buy a $2 part instead of
the extreme penalty that Apple charges for a board, my life would be much
better.  If anyone has any info that might help, I would appreciate it if
they would forward it to me, or at least clue me as to how I could find it.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Crabtree@ukanvax.bitnet

gordon@cs.washington.edu (Gordon Davisson) (12/30/89)

In article <20495@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> CRABTREE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Hi.  My Mac Plus has a fried transistor on the power board.  Everything else
>on the board checks out except one transistor next to the large heat sink
>toward the top of the board.  Do any of you technical types have the specs
>for the transistors, etc on the board?  If I could buy a $2 part instead of
>the extreme penalty that Apple charges for a board, my life would be much
>better.  If anyone has any info that might help, I would appreciate it if
>they would forward it to me, or at least clue me as to how I could find it.

I assume you're talking about the one labeled Q3?  If so, it's a
standard BU406 bipolar power transistor, and you should be able to find
them at any reasonably serious electronic supply store (i.e. not Radio
Shack).

By the way, the most common cause of Q3 failure seems to be shorts in
the flyback.  Have you checked to make sure your flyback's 2 windings
are still isolated?

--
Gordon Davisson
Westwind Computing	(206) 632-8141