[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Audio Board ?

21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) (12/29/89)

I recently saw an advertisment and article for some type of audio card for
the Mac which does cd quality recording onto a hard disk, and also can be
used in hypermedia development work.  I can't find the article, the ad, or the
product/company name anywhere... does anybody have a clue ?  Thanks....

Mark Rosenberg
Michigan State University

brianw@microsoft.UUCP (Brian WILLOUGHBY) (12/31/89)

In article <17521602MR@MSU> 21602MR@MSU.BITNET (Mark Rosenberg) writes:
>I recently saw an advertisment and article for some type of audio card for
>the Mac which does cd quality recording onto a hard disk, and also can be
>used in hypermedia development work.  I can't find the article, the ad, or the
>product/company name anywhere... does anybody have a clue ?  Thanks....
>
>Mark Rosenberg
>Michigan State University

I've seen two such boards advertized.  "MaxAudio" from Southworth, and another
from DigiDesign.  Both have been advertized in Electronic Magazine over the
past 2 years or so.  Check a local technical library.

Of the two, the DigiDesign board is definitely available, and employs a DSP
chip to facilitate some sample editing Mac software that DigiDesign sells.  The
software is available alone, and I have used it, but several features are
missing without the DSP board.  For instance, this software is capable of
real-time digital filtering, so that you can audition a change in the sound
before you use the DSP to permanently edit the sound file.  BTW, in the manual
for this software, DigiDesign mentions that only Quantum drives (18ms) and a
few other hard disks are fast enough for CD quality sound from the Mac.

The "Max Audio" product has by far the better specs, but I have been told that
Southworth has gone bankrupt due to another Mac hardware/software combo.  This
set of NuBus cards allows a user-configured system capable of SMPTE, VITC and
digital audio.  It would therefore make an awesome setup for film scoring.
There was a $1200 card with 4 Motorola 56000 DSP's running at 34 MHz which were
under full control of the Mac (allowed downloading of code into the DSP memory
for execution).  Another $1200 card did stereo analog to digital conversion at
24 MHz, using single bit delta-modulation.  Then the DSP card is used to
digitally filter the input signal and down-convert it to a sampling rate of
192 kHz using 20 bit PCM.  Using compression schemes which did not lose audio
data, the Max Audio product could compress 30 minutes of sterio 20 bit PCM onto
a 40 M hard disk with 4 times the quality of CD!  Now what happens to the
engineers and such a powerful product as this when a company calls it quits?
I would almost pay anything for one of the prototypes!

Oh well, look for the DigiDesign board in the latest Electronic Musician or
Keyboard magazine, at least it is still available.

Brian Willoughby
UUCP:           ...!{tikal, sun, uunet, elwood}!microsoft!brianw
InterNet:       microsoft!brianw@uunet.UU.NET
  or:           microsoft!brianw@Sun.COM
Bitnet          brianw@microsoft.UUCP