[comp.sys.mac.hardware] hack a multi-button mouse?

dbristo@cadev6.intel.com (David Bristor ~) (12/29/89)

The Mac's mouse has a single button physically, but several logically due to
shift clicking, etc.  Hypercard adds it's own, with command-shift-click, and I
suppose other apps have their own as well.  So whaddy'a think: can we take a
stock Logitech or other mouse, add some logic and hardware and an ADB
interface (and possibly some software), and get a multi-button mouse for the
Mac?  Say, left=click, middle=shift-click, and so on.

Is this possible?  Reasonable?  I know beans about ADB.
--
	Dave Bristor
	friar@well.com

warner@s3dawn.ARPA (Ken Warner) (12/30/89)

In article <DBRISTO.89Dec28135910@cadev6.intel.com> dbristo@cadev6.intel.com (David Bristor ~) writes:
>The Mac's mouse has a single button physically, but several logically due to
>shift clicking, etc.  Hypercard adds it's own, with command-shift-click, and I
>suppose other apps have their own as well.  So whaddy'a think: can we take a
>stock Logitech or other mouse, add some logic and hardware and an ADB
>interface (and possibly some software), and get a multi-button mouse for the
>Mac?  Say, left=click, middle=shift-click, and so on.
>
>Is this possible?  Reasonable?  I know beans about ADB.
>--
>	Dave Bristor
>	friar@well.com
>	{biggies}!hplabs!well!friar

Why haven't mouse-makers figured this out?  I'd love a three button mouse.  I
Smalltalk-80 and am really tired of using two arms to click a mouse button.

I thought that one way to do this would be to make a little hardware device
that sits on the ADB between a three button mouse and the computer.  This
imaginary device would be able to sense which mouse button was clicked and pull
the appropriate lines to simulate an option-click or command-click or whatever.
I also imagined that a DIP switch could be used to "program" this beastie to
simulate any arbitrary click and key combination.

How much could something like this cost?  Probably peanuts!

Ken Warner
warner@scubed.scubed.com

verket@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Paul Verket) (12/31/89)

From article <DBRISTO.89Dec28135910@cadev6.intel.com>, by dbristo@cadev6.intel.com (David Bristor ~):
> ...  So whaddy'a think: can we take a
> stock Logitech or other mouse, add some logic and hardware and an ADB
> interface (and possibly some software), and get a multi-button mouse for the
> Mac?  Say, left=click, middle=shift-click, and so on.

I'd sure love this! Between X windows and Smalltalk-80, I'd love having a three
button mouse. I know that Symbolics offered an optional three button mouse
(and their own keyboard) for their MacIvory product but how about a standalone
product.

Paul Verket
verket@venice.sedd.trw.com

tdrinkar@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu (Terrell Drinkard) (12/31/89)

 verket@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Paul Verket) writes:
 by dbristo@cadev6.intel.com (David Bristor ~):
>> ...  So whaddy'a think: can we take a
>> stock Logitech or other mouse, add some logic and hardware and an ADB
>> interface (and possibly some software), and get a multi-button mouse
>> for the Mac?  Say, left=click, middle=shift-click, and so on.
>
>I'd sure love this! Between X windows and Smalltalk-80, I'd love having
>a three button mouse. I know that Symbolics offered an optional three
>button mouse (and their own keyboard) for their MacIvory product but
>how about a standalone product.
>
>Paul Verket
>verket@venice.sedd.trw.com

There are other aspects to this!  We could dump these lightweight
(New & Improved !?!) ADB mice and get added functionality as well.
I am one of those who preferred the older, heavier ball (Crystal
Quest just hasn't been the same :).

Terry

Disclaimer et la Signaturo:
Hell no, I'm not responsible for what I say!  If everyone were
responsible for what they said, we'd have had a balanced budget in
1984.

warner@s3dawn.ARPA (Ken Warner) (01/01/90)

>I'd sure love this! Between X windows and Smalltalk-80, I'd love having a three
>button mouse. I know that Symbolics offered an optional three button mouse
>(and their own keyboard) for their MacIvory product but how about a standalone
>product.
>Paul Verket
>verket@venice.sedd.trw.com

I tried to talk to Symbolics about getting one of their three button mice but
they only sell it with the keyboard for about a grand!  They were typically
"Ivory Towerish" about the matter.

Ken Warner
warner@scubed.scubed.com

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.hardware,comp.sys.mac