[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Mac Plus CPU mystery

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Charles Larson) (01/04/90)

Here's a small mystery.  I opened up one of the Pluses in the lab today, and found that the 68000 CPU was labelled as a Hitachi product.

What's the deal here?

<chaz>

seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (01/04/90)

In article <1009@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Charles Larson) writes:

>Here's a small mystery.  I opened up one of the Pluses in the lab today, and found that the 68000 CPU was labelled as a Hitachi product.
>
>What's the deal here?
>
><chaz>

no mystery -- Hitachi has been alicensed second source for Motorola CPU
chips for years...
many companies allow other companies to duplicate chips for a variety of
reasons:  (1) to provide THEIR customers with assurance that minor
 hiccups (flood, fire, earthquake, strikes) will not interrupt the
 supply of chips -- there's a "second source"  the y can go to.
 (2) to acquire the rights to sell a chip or technology that the
 "second source" has developed. (3) to simply increase production
 capacity without building factories.
-- dick