[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Rasterops Colorboard/264 problem?

) (01/03/90)

Hi,

I just installed a Rasterops 264 in a Mac IIci and in a regular Mac II.
Both exhibit the same problem.  If I push the NMI (Debugger) button, or
if the system crashes into the debugger, the screen goes grey.  It doesn't
seem to put up the Macsbug screen.   I am using Macsbug 6.1...The Rasterops
boards show prom REV 1.1  (If that helps!)!

I also noticed a small glitch in their Monitor CDEV interface.  If you
select colors (16/256/millions) wityh the other button in B&W mode, the
system crashes.  You must set 'Color' before selecting more that 2 colors.
The Apple board gives shades of grey for more than 2 colors in B&W mode.

Any suggestions?

Phil Hunt

crawford@aerospace.aero.org (Kirk B. Crawford) (01/04/90)

In article <9001030417.AA16420@decwrl.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.dec.com (At 'MAC'simum efficiency!) writes:
>I just installed a Rasterops 264 in a Mac IIci and in a regular Mac II.
>Both exhibit the same problem.  If I push the NMI (Debugger) button, or
>if the system crashes into the debugger, the screen goes grey.  It doesn't
>seem to put up the Macsbug screen.   I am using Macsbug 6.1...The Rasterops
>boards show prom REV 1.1  (If that helps!)!
>
>Phil Hunt

Phil, I have this same problem when using my SuperMac 19" monitor and
the spectrum-8 color card for it.  You will be able to use MacsBug if
you are running in 2-color mode.  This is a known bug.  I am told it
is because macsbug doesn't use quckdraw to do its screen drawing, so
it doesn't always work on all monitors.  In fact Macsbug is actually
running on my computer when it is in that gray mode, I just can't see
anything.  It does respond to the es commands and rb commands!

--
Kirk Crawford
crawford@aerospace.aero.org

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/05/90)

In article <64359@aerospace.AERO.ORG>, crawford@aerospace.aero.org (Kirk B. Crawford) writes...

>In article <9001030417.AA16420@decwrl.dec.com> phil@vaxphw.dec.com (At 'MAC'simum efficiency!) writes:
>[MacsBug doesn't work with  RO 264 board]
[...]

>you are running in 2-color mode.  This is a known bug.  I am told it
>is because macsbug doesn't use quckdraw to do its screen drawing, so
>it doesn't always work on all monitors.  In fact Macsbug is actually
>running on my computer when it is in that gray mode, I just can't see
>anything.  It does respond to the es commands and rb commands!

Does TMON work with the 264?  Only in 2-bit mode?

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/05/90)

Phil,

It's a problem with MacsBug 6.1...basically, MacsBug 6.1 doesn't like ANY
24-bit video card; HOWEVER, the previous BETA version (6.1b1) is compatible
with our 24-bit video cards and should be with your RasterOps ColorBoard 264.
Apparently the MacsBug team changed something for the Mac IIci from 6.1b1 to
6.1 that is the cause of the problem.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology
fabian@cup.portal.com or sun!cup.portal.com!fabian

Fabian@cup.portal.com (Fabian Fabe Ramirez) (01/05/90)

Kirk,

Which Spectrum video card to you have?  Spectrum 1000/8 (B11 firmware) or
Spectrum/8 (1.91 firmware)?

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology

fabian@cup.portal.com