[comp.sys.mac.hardware] Who sells ethernet cards for a twisted pair medium?

romeo@lindy.Stanford.EDU (Patrick Goebel) (12/23/89)

Does anyone know who (if anyone) sells Mac ethernet cards with a
twisted pair interface?

Alternatively, does there exist an adapter that enables a standard
thinnet interface to mesh with a twisted pair medium?

Much obliged,
patrick goebel--romeo@lindy.stanford.edu

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (01/07/90)

In article <6694@lindy.Stanford.EDU> romeo@lindy.UUCP (Patrick Goebel) writes:
>Does anyone know who (if anyone) sells Mac ethernet cards with a
>twisted pair interface?
>
>Alternatively, does there exist an adapter that enables a standard
>thinnet interface to mesh with a twisted pair medium?

I know of no companies that supply the former, since twisted-pair ethernet is
still relatively new.  There are is least one company that supplies the latter,
however:  SynOptics Communications.  We have a SynOptics 2600 Thinnet Adaptor
because NeXT in their wisdom only supplied a thinnet interface.  It cost about
$600, as I recall.

I believe that Farallon Computing also has something along this line.

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

rht@smsdpg.uu.net (Randy Thompson) (01/07/90)

From article <4833@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, by phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson):
> In article <6694@lindy.Stanford.EDU> romeo@lindy.UUCP (Patrick Goebel) writes:
>>Does anyone know who (if anyone) sells Mac ethernet cards with a
>>twisted pair interface?
>>
>>Alternatively, does there exist an adapter that enables a standard
>>thinnet interface to mesh with a twisted pair medium?

Yes, Currently Kinetics is shipping a card for the Mac II with a LattisNet
transciever on-board. The card is the EtherPort IIL. Also, Cabletron has
just begun shipping a card for the Mac II that has an onboard twisted -
pair xciever.

Hope this helps!
Randy Thompson                |             uunet!smsdpg!rht -- Office
SMS Data Products Group, Inc. |   uunet!smsdpg!tailchasr!rht -- Mac@home
703/648-9400                  |
           * Constructive criticism is always appreciated *
             Send Flames to:  Trash%tailchasr@smsdpg.UUCP